California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Coot recipies

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Ross Seiler, Dec 6, 2019.

1. afmoto

afmoto Senior Refuge Member

Very, very strict rule in our blind: nobody is allowed to shoot mud hen...

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I can't bring myself to shoot a poule d'eau ("water chicken"/Cajun for coot), but how good they are on the table was an early lesson when I moved down here. (Initially thought being invited to a "poule d'eau roundup" a prank on the new hillbilly.) Turned out there's none of the "mud" or "fish" flavor I'd so long heard of, just good eats.

When someone pops one or two at our camp but doesn't want them, I won't let them go to waste and find simply sauteing the fillets in butter with a dash of Lawry's until they're pink in the middle suits me just fine.

(Then, too, I've sauteed spoon fillets and legs that way alongside those of a woody and pintail and found the size of those parts the only difference between them.)

3. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Never eaten coot, never eaten carp, think I'll take a pass on both.....

4. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Nothing wrong with rice fed coot, Mike. May not look all that appetizing but the flavor in medium rare pan fried breasts is indistinguishable from good duck

5. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

The last year of lead a few buddies and myself decided we needed to get rid of our remaining stash. Some old guy that was friends with a buddy had always asked him for some coots. A plan was formulated and GL was where the incident would take place. Big open water pond with monster rafts of mudhens. We definitely raised the average that day. What a massacre.

The pile of birds filled his back patio. We cleaned them by stepping on the wings and yanking on the feet. Disgusting. Piles of meat all with a green tinge. Can still remember the smell. Meat was delivered and the oldster was thrilled. He had a secret recipe where he was going to work his magic. When all was ready he couldn’t wait for us to try it. It was not good. Probably the thought of that nasty pile affected my taste buds but never again for me.

Quite a few years ago my son and a buddy were at a refuge on a super slow day. An AP with adjacent ponds empty. They were itching to shoot. I told them whatever they shoot they will eat. They went to town on some mudhens and a couple of divers and some how got a snow goose as well. Maybe they didn’t think I was serious as when we got back in town I didn’t drop the kid off taking him to my house. I put away the gear while they took care of the birds. They commented on the greenish meat. Got the BBQ all set and breasts went in. Salt and pepper and that was it. To their credit they choked them down. My Son doesn’t shoot coots or divers anymore.

OGblackcloud likes this.
  6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

From clean water they are as good as most ducks.

7. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

I am not a gut eater however I knew this old timer swear their gizzards were the best? He did makes some pate that I tried and I will say he knew what he was doing.

8. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I've given out this recipe before, but if you take a coot and soak it in seawater overnight, the next morning it will taste just like crab! (it also applies to goldeneye, ruddies, bufflehead, mergansers, and all sea ducks)

9. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

your crab is that bad:doh:l:dv:dv:dv

Refugeguy likes this.
  10. apollo455

apollo455 Senior Refuge Member

My Dad says to soak them in milk overnight.