Copper pot calls

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, May 15, 2019.

1. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

main thing about pot call is that it is the ear hearing the tones and the hands holding the striker and the pot that make the difference in the calls. A good/excellent experienced caller with a matched striker can make any surface sing . Chasing a new surface is a waste of time if you dont have the ear and the hands yet. IMO

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Well, after 38 spring seasons, i am always learning something new. I have only hunted public WMA's- haven't had the opportunity or affordability to hunt private land. I consider myself learned in this sport and tradition. Have killed osceolas using various calls, but i have noted that less calling works better. If i can expand my "orchestra", and enrich my symphony, it is good.

mudhen likes this.
  3. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

He has them...first run sold out...I message him about availability...I bought a red slate instead, will get on the build list for brass...

4. Glades Ranger

Mr. Gadwall: It is a practical reason I am "chasing a new surface" like brass. As I stated before, the usual high humidity makes both pot and box calls mostly ineffective, though I will try Blackduck's method. My never fails call are my mouth calls- they necessarily are "wet" calls. :D You get to keep your arms/hands free and ready with gun. But of course, those same mouth calls do not always entice the gobblers. I am only versed with Osceolas, having never gone far north enough to get an Eastern, but several friends who have hunted both, all state for the record, that Osceolas are generally more reticent and shy, and harder to hunt for that reason. I am not by that imputing that Easterns are dumber, just that they tend to be more vocal, which generally is an advantage for the turkey hunter. Due to loud rock music, noisy work conditions, shooting sports, over the years, has diminished my hearing but I remain attentive in the spring woods and always nap with one eye open.:tu

mudhen likes this.
  5. Glades Ranger

Well, I am excited- should receive the John Sinclair brass pot call this week! Have several different strikers to try and match this.

6. mudhen

Did you get one of the cool new wood pots he is featuring?

7. Glades Ranger

It is a 3" brass pot with walnut base- the exotics were tempting, but in any case, i love the tone. The soundboard is slate, Sinclair said this was the better match. Glad he could get it to me so soon, have plenty of time to practice!

8. mudhen

I have a Sinclair Ti that is always in the vest...always...

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I have an old Carlson Copper pot...first copper one I know of. It’s fairly touchy/striker picky, and likes to be drywall sanded good, but it has good pitch.

10. Glades Ranger

Sinclair supplied a wooden striker- not sure the type of wood- and a small square piece red scotch brite. I have read extensively on conditioning of metal pots (alum, stainless steel, copper, brass) and many use scotch brite but a good number use 150 or 220 grit sandpaper; some actually scratch half the pot with one and the other! I have tried the striker on my vintage MAD aluminum pot and it is great- I still take the aluminum because I believe it reaches farther, especially on those windier days, though I try and be more "minimalist" as that technique has worked more than aggressive calling. So much of this is trial and error to find the right combo with each call. My other pot calls are all 3.5" diameter, this new 3" pot is a tad easier to handle.

mister gadwall likes this.