Corn complexes in the Columbia basin

DR. DUX

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m with you about not really wanting to bring anything to this state. It’s the worst. I mentioned that article in outdoor life earlier in this thread. I really think this commish is looking for a way to shut down hunting every chance they get.

Dr. Dux I do understand making artificial flooded crops would take away public land, which I’m not a fan of. I would a like to apologize about Paul’s pond, they made a video with DU about two years and I just rewatched and they never said they did a project there. They just said DU was a part of his life. I guessed I just assumed they were working together when I first watched it. I read your comments about your opinion have changed on flooded crops. This really interests me and makes me wonder if I’m missing something. My biggest concern is I feel like every year waterfowling is becoming a rich man’s games and driving out the average guy. Now all you see are pretend hunters with huge pile pictures in front of a corn pond. Then you go out to your local marsh and see 40 birds. It just makes you wonder where all the birds went when they were there just 5-10 years ago.
Great question, as I said my opinion evolved. The first thing was the realization that “legal definitions” made a regulatory fix even at the state level impossible. The second was the upper Basin for decades wintered 2 million plus mallards at peak migration, now that number is 200-300K total ducks (think 1.7 million more mallards in the upper basin might change things?). The 3rd thing was historical data. The percentages of where waterfowl are found hasn’t changed much over the decades, the total numbers however are dramatically lower.

I don’t love corn complexes by any means but I came to realize there isn’t a regulatory path for change with them so I focused my efforts elsewhere. Local duck production and low density, highly managed, quality public hunting opportunities being bigger concerns.

Last edited:

DR. DUX

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Also history, I’m a founding WAG member. About every 3-5 years the WAG exhausts every possible regulatory option imaginable to address corn complexes only to learn there isn’t a regulatory path. After 7 or 8 of those experiences it eventually becomes obvious it can’t be changed at least from a regulatory path. Not that it will stop the WAG from looking at it yet again I’m sure.

DisplacedDuck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

DR. DUX

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Past 2 years down 67% from before that for the Pacific Flyway.

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the first thing about it but a lot of guys agree that’s it’s baiting waterfowl per what I’m reading here.
All a couple guys need to do is video document the practice then involve a tv news reporter to do an exposé.
Then you will engage the votes of all the rabid anti hunters and use their votes to end the practice.
If it’s that bad it ought to be exposed openly to the general public imo.
I have zero firsthand knowledge but the thread is a good read.
I think-we all hate the anti hunters so much but maybe in this case triggering them might be the best thing to do.
There’s more liberal nutters just looking for something like this than there are rich guys baiting ducks right?
Edit: I guarantee there’s a way to write a law prohibiting this practice

Tell you what though I wouldn’t wanna get caught taping. :l
Doubt they’d ever find me.

Last edited:

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A regulation saying standing crops are off limits to hunting wouldn't work? Maybe it needs to be worded as "ALL standing crops, including artificially or naturally flooded are considered baited and are closed to hunting." I really don't see how that could not be implemented.

dekecarver

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Let's just get it all over with and end all waterfowling in Washington. Let's ban any and all waterfowl hunting in Washington State. Let's just stop beating around the bush, and playing endless games of semantics. This will end all of the crying and moaning about wealthy ne'er do wells, DU, skybusters, early shooters, late shooters, flooded crops, debates on naturally flooded vs. artificially flooded, crying about too many pintails, lack of access... and on and on and on....
Yes, let's end it now for good!!! Let's join the self-righteous and naive, and the hypocrites too! Let's end the evil of waterfowl hunting in Washington State!
Guessing this is possibly read by "friends" in WDFW, and the Commission, let alone other "friendly groups", maybe some here will get their wish and more.

DR. DUX

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Deke, you trying see if the cross you made me fits?

Always enjoyed our discussions back in the day.

DOUBLECLUCKER

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Let's just get it all over with and end all waterfowling in Washington. Let's ban any and all waterfowl hunting in Washington State. Let's just stop beating around the bush, and playing endless games of semantics. This will end all of the crying and moaning about wealthy ne'er do wells, DU, skybusters, early shooters, late shooters, flooded crops, debates on naturally flooded vs. artificially flooded, crying about too many pintails, lack of access... and on and on and on....
Yes, let's end it now for good!!! Let's join the self-righteous and naive, and the hypocrites too! Let's end the evil of waterfowl hunting in Washington State!
Guessing this is possibly read by "friends" in WDFW, and the Commission, let alone other "friendly groups", maybe some here will get their wish and more.
Who in this discussion is talking about banning waterfowl hunting? So examining the corn complex issue is a bad thing? You obviously have an issue with the idea. Lots of posts so far have made good points.

Were you this up in arms when they banned spinning wing decoys? I’m surprised that maneuver didn’t end all duck hunting in our state (hypebole intended).

I have no problem taking a look at the effects of these complexes, if nothing else from a fair chase standpoint - the very reason our wildlife commission banned electronic spinners. I think most would agree that a flooded plot of standing corn has a much more paralyzing effect on ducks than an electric spinner.

Latest posts