Corn complexes in the Columbia basin

DuckTales

Refuge Member
Reaction score
When people say "flooded crops", are we thinking corn only? And is that "intentionally flooding crops" only? What if there's a low spot in a corn field that the farmer can't harvest due to early rain and his kids hunt it once it naturally floods?

I've seen hundreds of acres of potatoes go unharvested in the Skagit Valley due to early rains. Ducks and snows and swans can be in there like crazy. If the field ponded up (or even if it didn't), would we want that considered baiting?

Just some thoughts I had reading through this thread.

dekecarver

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts, for what they are worth;
Make sure, when you lay the trap to end waterfowling, you at least are intelligent enough to use the phrase "artificially flooded crops". Otherwise you will close all flooded fields, including naturally flooded acres, after any rain or high water. Nothing like helping the enemy.
If you are so bent out of shape by "Flooded Corn Complexes", and tired of the wealthy ne'r do wells shooting the public's ducks, then take aim at DU. End your memberships, and dinner attendance. Hit the Man where it hurts...in the wallet$$$! By doing this you may be able to remove funding for these DU Projects, and remove the salaries of these privileged few!! No $$$, no Flooded Corn Complexes!!!
If you think that ending private Flooded Corn Complexes will just make the ducks move to the WDFW and other Public Hunting Areas, and farmer Bob's crop fields, I think you have a surprise coming. The majority of WDFW properties are woefully mismanaged, particularly for waterfowl hunting. Why would ducks go there then, when they aren't going there now? Also, considering the historical, current, and likely future direction WDFW and the Commission, why would you think for a split second things would suddenly change for the better?!

You may actually be your own worst enemy, be careful what you wish for.

All Day

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
One point that hasn't been made here is that the ducks and geese were in the crops about as long as they have been planted. "Corn Complexes", are just farms. People have been hunting in the crops since the beginning. The WDFW even did it on purpose on 15 shot Island in Skagit. NONE of those crops were harvested. It all went to the ducks. The limit of four ducks was set and we would sometimes have shifts!
The guides that use the croplands are a benefit to hunters that cannot hunt on their own because of varying reasons like costs and time availability. ALL guides do us a service this way. Most guides that I know are members of conservation orgs and give a lot back to that resource. As far as getting rich, That's a laugh!! FEW guides do it for more than expenses.
I personally have not hunted any corn ponds, (other than 15 shot island), but I think it's great that they are available. (Hint, hint)...
Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving!!

Action

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Make sure, when you lay the trap to end waterfowling, you at least are intelligent enough to use the phrase "artificially flooded crops". Otherwise you will close all flooded fields, including naturally flooded acres, after any rain or high water. Nothing like helping the enemy.
If you are so bent out of shape by "Flooded Corn Complexes", and tired of the wealthy ne'r do wells shooting the public's ducks, then take aim at DU. End your memberships, and dinner attendance. Hit the Man where it hurts...in the wallet$$$! By doing this you may be able to remove funding for these DU Projects, and remove the salaries of these privileged few!! No $$$, no Flooded Corn Complexes!!!
If you think that ending private Flooded Corn Complexes will just make the ducks move to the WDFW and other Public Hunting Areas, and farmer Bob's crop fiel

DU has done a lot or wetlands conservation. When they devote time and money in corn complexes is where I draw the line. These developments do not benefit the waterfowl as a staging ground for them to migrate later. These complexes HOLD the birds and are professionally managed to make sure they stay. We have a fundamental problem since these properties have ponds that are drained at the end of each season to make sure they do not get classified as a wetland. How many corn fields have you driven by, and they missed a spot? Leaving standing corn is not a normal farming practice period. I have had long conversations with some people I respect because they developed their properties and did it themselves. When asked if these complexes have changed the hunting for the public land hunter I am told with a firm YES.

Last edited:

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
All it takes to end hunting is anti hunters figuring out they can end all hunting by dumping corn on public lands. Some of you guys opinion could be very bad what if à river floods 4 miles wide everything that water touched would be baited for the rest of the season in some cases. In Kansas where I live we kill hundreds of ducks à year in dry corn stubble is that baited ? No itspart of the normal agricultural process as the law states. On my opinion we should not mess with these laws we have way to many anti s in our usfws service to let them change the laws today

full choke

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
All it takes to end hunting is anti hunters figuring out they can end all hunting by dumping corn on public lands. Some of you guys opinion could be very bad what if à river floods 4 miles wide everything that water touched would be baited for the rest of the season in some cases. In Kansas where I live we kill hundreds of ducks à year in dry corn stubble is that baited ? No itspart of the normal agricultural process as the law states. On my opinion we should not mess with these laws we have way to many anti s in our usfws service to let them change the laws today

I am not sure you understand what is being talked about here. These are not cornfields that have any chance at all of flooding. These are diked off areas planted in corn and then artificially flooded for the sole purpose of shooting ducks. There is zero "normal farming practice" involved. It is strictly an exploitation of a baiting loophole.

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
One point that hasn't been made here is that the ducks and geese were in the crops about as long as they have been planted. "Corn Complexes", are just farms. People have been hunting in the crops since the beginning. The WDFW even did it on purpose on 15 shot Island in Skagit. NONE of those crops were harvested. It all went to the ducks. The limit of four ducks was set and we would sometimes have shifts!
The guides that use the croplands are a benefit to hunters that cannot hunt on their own because of varying reasons like costs and time availability. ALL guides do us a service this way. Most guides that I know are members of conservation orgs and give a lot back to that resource. As far as getting rich, That's a laugh!! FEW guides do it for more than expenses.
I personally have not hunted any corn ponds, (other than 15 shot island), but I think it's great that they are available. (Hint, hint)...
Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving!!
I don’t believe anyone is against hunting crop land or fields that flood naturally. The problem arises when you flood crop land against normal ag practices. This can cause disease and from a public land hunter make a refuge only a few can hunt.

As far as getting rich there is a big difference between Guzman and Tony Vandemore. There’s plenty of money in it and if there wasn’t people wouldn’t do it full time.

Also most of this thread hasn’t referenced guiding. I bet most are more referencing clubs like NWh2ofowler brought up. Personally I think unregulated guiding is an issue but that’s for another discussion and one I would be happy to talk with you about anytime you want to shoot me a message.

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts, for what they are worth;
If you think that ending private Flooded Corn Complexes will just make the ducks move to the WDFW and other Public Hunting Areas, and farmer Bob's crop fields, I think you have a surprise coming. The majority of WDFW properties are woefully mismanaged, particularly for waterfowl hunting. Why would ducks go there then, when they aren't going there now? Also, considering the historical, current, and likely future direction WDFW and the Commission, why would you think for a split second things would suddenly change for the better?!

I don’t disagree that just saying no more flooding crops might make us worse off. I have a feeling there’s too much money in it that they will always find a loophole or pay someone off to figure it out. I hate the idea of bringing anything to this commission since if you ask for an inch they’ll try to take a mile. After reading the latest article in Outdoor Life I think this state is screwed.

It’s interesting about the comment of ducks won’t go flooding back to public land or farmers bob’s field. I don’t think we would really know. Flooded crop complexes create a place where birds can roost and feed. My assumption would be if you take away that combo birds would have to find a new roost and potentially different feeds. I’m also no where close to a biologist so I maybe full of poop on that whole part haha.

DU is an interesting topic because I hate them after reading articles about the amount of money that goes into private land for “habitat”. I think two years ago they had an article about Paul’s pond but if I remember right the work done was really just to create a spot to shoot ducks not to help during migration or breeding. But then again DU does a lot of work in Canada and without that work we would be in worse shape then we are now.