Corn complexes in the Columbia basin

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This discussion is very interesting. It seems to me that this is really a discussion about two things. One is the absolute power of money over policy.
Bang your head against the wall, but money wins every time. Those who are saying there will not be a regulatory solution understand that politics and policy are dictated by the donors. Point blank that is how it works. Defunding DU is a good idea, but I think they have become so good at marketing the average DU member is bamboosled to think they are actually part of something and they are "giving back." Sucker born everyday comes to mind. But even that is just a token. The wealthy under the umbrella of "corporate" influence and the cost of campaigns etc. will have their way.

There is a growing disparity between the wealth of the common man and the truly wealthy, and let's be honest the poor do not hunt. This is happening not just in our little sport but all over the country and in all areas. The.hyperfinancialization of our economy has shifted wealth creation out of zeros and ones and investments, devoid of actual work, to a new level. The wealthy make the rules which (surprise surprise)help them get more wealthy.That is why they bailed out banks not home owners. This disparity creates social unrest. This unrest ultimately leads to revolution where the current ultra wealthy are brought down and the field is temporarily leveled. But somebody will lead and they will start making new rules, and the process repeats.

The second part of this discussion is about the philosophy of sport.
Personally I want to hunt a wild duck. I want to hunt it in its natural environment and having the skill to fool it into gun range, kill it, and ultimately consume it as the culmination and reward of the hunt. It is different than harvesting a farm raised chicken. One is about pursuit, the other is about managed food. I don't harvest ducks. I kill them as part of the hunt, but those on flooded corn complexes rightly say they are harvesting ducks.

I do not consider what they are doing on these properties sport. I personally would be embarrassed to participate in such a "hunt" and I can honestly say that if I were invited to, all expenses paid, etc.I would kindly decline the offer preferring my little mud flat. Aldo Leopold talks about the land owner being the ultimate wildlife manager. I think what he had in mind was creating and preserving wild spaces. What these complexes are doing is exactly the opposite and hence what they are doing is not hunting but harvesting, it is a commercial activity not the pursuit of sport.

I have no more desire to kill ducks over a public flooded corn complex than I do a private one. We cannot change the nature of the world to one where wealth doesn't get to make the rules. But we can win the philosophical one where we teach our children and our children's children what sport is. We can develop in them a love of the pursuit for the sake of the pursuit. We can also teach them an anathema of wealthy buffoons harvesting farmed ducks thinking they are participating in "sport".

Last edited:

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Full choke what is different between à corn stubble field with water or not , what you are impliying then if you add water it's baiting. Where in the law does it say anything that adding water is considered baited. Our state used to plant corn in waterfowl management areas then flood were they baiting not by the law. I understand it's a personal opinion but sometimes things are better left untouched. If the anti hunters ever get this same agenda and push it that adding water equals baiting duck hunting is over forever. Just my opinion my friend

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Widgeonman Gh what does DU have to do with flooded corn not a dam thing . I do not believe DU has any private honey holes set up just for rich guys. I have been a senior volunteer in Kansas for over 40 yrs and that crap does not happen in this state. I built à marsh 25 yrs ago thru usfws wildlife agreement to remediate flooding.All the local experts were going around telling everyone DU built my marsh because I was a state council member. I bet you everyone of your suspected areas are major donors that may have advise from DU as what was available at that time from other usfws,soil conservation, and others are where most marshes are built unless the owner has enough money to burn à wet dog it's these that are behind marshes being built. WRP ever heard of that 1 there are dozens of federal monies out there without DU even being involved building marshes. Nerda money is funding lots of wetlands purchased in my area DU did the homework to utilize this money but zero money has come from volunteer pocket. They have purchased near 3000 acres in my area with this program in the last 5 yrs it's river bottoms in wrp program and DU is involved it is all public hunting. They do not spend money on private hunt clubs in this state in know this for a fact. Sounds like something has turned you sour on DU I am sorry about that. Happy Thanksgiving

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between flooding moist soil and flooding crops for the purpose of killing ducks nothing both are unatural if flooding is involved

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
California would like to see a mallard migration again

No kidding, I hunt flooded corn stubble and killed exactly 3 mallards last year in it...

Reactions: JRS

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Full choke what is different between à corn stubble field with water or not , what you are impliying then if you add water it's baiting. Where in the law does it say anything that adding water is considered baited. Our state used to plant corn in waterfowl management areas then flood were they baiting not by the law. I understand it's a personal opinion but sometimes things are better left untouched. If the anti hunters ever get this same agenda and push it that adding water equals baiting duck hunting is over forever. Just my opinion my friend
The law states that it has to be a normal agricultural practice. Can you tell me when and where it’s normal ag practice to not harvest and then flood crop? I do realize that there is extra text made that states you can do it with corn but that’s what rubs everyone wrong.

Thank you for all your work on public marshes. That’s truly great and I hope DU and states can continue to establish public lands. In this state alone DU has invested in at least one private club that they were at least at one time allowed to come hunt. On top of that around me all they do is help pay for land for bird watchers. So yeah I am sour on DU but I also understand some of the work they do is very beneficial, like in Canada.

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have talked to a federal game wardenhe explained it like this the normal agricultural process is not something they know they will go to the state or county extension agent and they will determine what is normal as they work with farmers everyday and know what is not common to that area. So the feds use local AG guys to make that détermination. And that can change from year to year depending on conditions or weather in an area.years ago I had 120 acres of wheat get laided down by wind then rain set in for a month when it finally dried up we tried to harvest it the stalk was so water soaked and the combiné would not pick it up then we used à disc mower and wind rowed it to pick it up after it drives up still could not pick it up. In the mean time the doves found this field by the thousands. It was getting close to sept 1 so I called in the game warden he called the feds they said since we tried to harvest it. It was ok to dove hunt but not for waterfowl hunting so I just tilled it up then it was ok to waterfowl hunt after 10 days. The county extension agent came out to our meeting then

Mallardmasher

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It’s not a question if a river foods x amount of miles. How many crops thru normal farming practices, are still standing as of nov 1-15th. Not many, if any at all. These are not normal farming practices. These are for one purpose, lure in ducks, keep them through out as much of the season as they can. time to get pics of those tornadoes of ducks descending on complexes, with hunters blazing away, a hungry ducks not paying them any attention. This is not hunting

Duck_Hunter_88

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you want disinformation...just start an internet thread!

WA has amazing public hunting opportunities...I won't hot spot or give any internet scouts a chance...if you can't shoot ducks in E WA you need to up your game...enough said.

Mallardmasher

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You seem to have issues with most topics, have you hunted here long, remember the 70’s 80’s. No where close to the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts