Corvallis visit and fishing.

Discussion in 'Oregon Flyway Forum' started by cprodave, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

Hi all, son just moved Austin TX to Corvallis. Thus far he is glad to be away from protests etc and 100 degree weather. I will be visiting him 9/9 to 9/22 from our (recently moved to) Richmond VA home (talk about unrest!). I plan to dust off my freshwater fly/spin gear. Son likes to surf (one of main reasons he chose Oregon)but his interest in bowhunting is returning, and freshwater fishing too.
    What are some best fishing choices within 3-4 hour drive of Corvallis during September for both freshwater (mainly) and saltwater? Also what forums would help me plan my visit? One forum i found was O.F.F., but more might be better. I will have no boat (not even a kayak) while visiting. Thanks for any help starting to plan my trip...

2. The John

The John Refuge Member

There are so many different options for fishing... you can fly fish the fall, deschutes, crooked, williamson rivers in the central part of the state, along with numerous lakes and bays along the Oregon coast. So I guess my answer is more of a question: what do you want to fish for and using what kind of gear?

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

@blacktail is the guy to ask. But I think unless you have a late summer September is late for ocean fishing but the mouths of rivers.

4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

If you want to Saltwater fish let me know.
    Tuna, Lingcod, rockfish, salmon. Yep.
    September my favorite month.

5. cprodave

"I like 'em all!" I grew up in SW Pennsylvania fishing for everthing from native Brook Trout to panfish to Large/Smallmouth Bass and Pike. Began flytying in Elementary School. Got heavy into trout fishing (fly and spin) 12 years in Upstate NY. Also ice fished there. Spent last 27 years in NC (in VA 4months now) mostly saltwater fishing had 18 foot boat usually fished within 10 (but as far as 22) miles of shore. Did quite a bit of bluewater fishing on friends' boats. I have a good assortment of tackle but likely will leave rods in VA (airline baggage fees) and buy a couple cheapies in OR to leave with our son. Will bring whatever reels are needed. Haven't spent much time with this son in past 5-10 years and would mainly like to spend some quality father/son time while he can learn where he can catch an occasional dinner. Any help is appreciated.

6. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

Fly fishing for smallmouth on the N. Umpqua. About 90 mins away. Try Todd Hannah for guiding.

7. cprodave

Great, thanks for the tip.

8. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

www.ifish.net is the major Oregon fishing forum. It is also the major Hunting forum.

9. cprodave

Thanks for confirming ifish is the best info source. My son flyfished for trout last week with a friend and borrowed equipment. He is enthused about learning to catch stream (vs. Pond or lake) trout, although i am intrigued by some surf fishing opportunities in Oregon. BTW will surf perch have a decent bite around 9/9 to 9/22? Thing i like about saltwater vs freshwater is in saltwater you never know what you will catch.

10. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I would suggest concentrating on saltwater fishing if you are around Corvallis. The coast is about an hour away.

If your son wants to stream fish, he would be better off going to the east side of the mountains. The fish are hungrier and bigger on the east side, imho. That is, unless he happens to hook a steelhead.