Decoy Forum Sponsors

Cost-effective DIY Long Line

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by AppalachianHollers, Aug 6, 2021.

1. quack1

quack1 Senior Refuge Member

Appholler- The clips I use grab the main line and squeeze hard enough that they take a good bit of force to make them slide on the line. Take a close look at the clip in my first picture. No tying or knots needed. I've never had a decoy slide on the main line while in use. I do tie a knot in the main line where every clip goes, only to indicate where each dropper gets clipped on, as I take the lines apart for off season storage.

2. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Been a long time, but I might go the diamond braid route for a main line and buy drops. Does diamond braid sink well?

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Polypropylene will float, nylon will sink.

AppalachianHollers likes this.
  4. websdown

websdown Senior Refuge Member

We go with a knot on main line a zip tie works but is hard on the hands when winding up at each decoy location and clip ahead of that or the sheet ice will slide the decoy every time on the Mississippi River not the slush so much. We also go with plastic coated weights from the 2nd hand store slide clip into the hole in weight and clip back on line.

5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Trotline reel for storing long lines.i use one on my jerk rig. Screenshot_20210827-053059_Chrome.jpg

6. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

We used Rig'em right main line. We leave the decoys tied on 18 inch drops, store them in 12 slot bags. Use window sash weights for anchors. The anchors are on carabiners, stored in bag pocket. So far so good, putting them away properly is the key. Also we only target divers a couple times a year. Easy to grab the 2 long line bags and one bag of tossers and go. Not sure I would go this route if we needed real large spreads.

7. AppalachianHollers

I’m sure for my purposes 2 lines would be plenty. It ain’t the Chesapeake.

8. AppalachianHollers

Rig em right line is well-priced. Pretty convinced I’ll do that and their decoy line for the drops. What’s killing me right now is how expensive the float line clips are. Each one can’t cost hardly anything to make, yet you see people charging $4 a pop. Even on eBay.