Cost of reloading shotgun shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Eyehunter83, Jan 12, 2022.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I look at it from a different perspective. It’s the COST of not reloading. I can assemble steel/bismuth/HTL loads that are tuned to my shotguns/chokes for maximum efficacy.

Case in point, I have developed a one ounce 20 gauge HW-15 load in #7’s that works on mallards to 75 yards. A SBE III, Franchi 48 AL and Beretta SXS using a combination of MOD & IM tubes have been the main guns. Cost is <$2/cartridge which pales in comparison to commercial HTL loadings.

2. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Started reloading shot shells in 1963, that was when you had to rebuild the primers. Used and old Herters press, for 10 and 12Ga. Never bought any empty hulls, just used what was found laying around. Cut my own over powder wads and some fiber wads. Used alot of Cream O wheat as buffer for heavier goose loads. Used mostly Alliant powders. Have shotguns that have never had a factory load shot thru them. In 1964 started loading ctr. fire rifle. Upto 12 different caliburs now. 1968 started reloading and casting bullets for ctr. fire pistol upto 7 different caliburs now. To say I have saved alot of money reloading, I never calculated the cost. Just get alot of satisfaction out of doing it. And knowing I will never be able to shoot up everything I already Have loaded in my life time and maybe my sons and grandsons.

Ravenanme and JP like this.
  3. Doug E

Doug E Refuge Member

Reloaded 20 ga 2-3/4" Bismuth 3's, 7/8 oz 1300fps did well for me decoying geese <30 yds early season, didn't have any longer shots to take but confident it would do fine 40 yds because similar 3's load in 1-1/8 oz 12 ga is solid 40 to 50 . But steel 2s or 3s would be fine at close range only i like a softer shooting shell than available factory .

ditto

JP likes this.
  4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

For me reloading will supplement a reasonable supply of factory ammo. I view as a treasure hunt, will look and find components over a few month period. I loaded lots of lead back in my teens and 20s with mec jr.