Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Could use some prayers and support...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by huntersdad, Aug 20, 2020.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Its heartbreaking to work with those with addiction.
    They wont change until they decide to change.
    Praying and loving them more than they deserve is about all you can do until they decide

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. wprebeck

wprebeck Senior Refuge Member

Man, I'll pray for ya.

I didn't read the thread, cause I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment, but I retired from an LE gig that put me in close quarters with addicts of all types. Mostly, they were pill and heroin types, but the principle is the same. He ain't gonna get help, until he hits bottom. That point is different for everybody, but until he finds his...he won't stop. Pray and be ready to help when he's sincere. If he ain't, you'll know it pretty damn quick.

Get into Al-Anon for yourself, if you wanna chat with others in your situation. I don't know your location, but there might be some legit places to find help for the both of you. If you happen to be around Louisville (KY), I know all the treatment centers quite well and can help you out.

Good luck.

3. Duck Wrangler

Duck Wrangler Senior Refuge Member

Prayers sent
    What you did may be the wake up call he needs; at least I hope so for both of you.

4. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Prayers.
    Like others have said, your brother won’t change until he makes the decision to change for himself. Maybe you look at what he’s going through right now and think “how can that not be rock bottom?” and maybe it is, with him just not yet realizing it. Or maybe it isn’t and he’s got further to fall. Either way, you can give him encouragement and support to do the right thing, but you can’t make him do it.

And don’t feel bad about tossing him the keys and leaving. Supporting him doesn’t mean enduring abuse without limits. And also you have avoided “enabling” his behavior. If the doc says he’s medically cleared to drive, unless you’re also a doc, that sounds like the final word on the matter.

Sorry you’re going through this.

5. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Sorry you have to go through this, but you did the right thing.

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I’ll pray you and him. I’m close enough to you (Fayetteville) that if you wanted to meet for a coffee, just to vent , I’ll make time. Lost an uncle to alcohol, and both parents in law died as unreformed alcoholics.

7. Riverfisher

Riverfisher Senior Refuge Member

Positive thoughts your way!

8. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Quarne likes this.