Couple boat upgrades

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
1. Looking to put some flooring in the boat. Only experience is with Hydro-Turf. Anyone know a place in NE that installs it or a comparable alternative? I’m thinking of doing it myself but I also remember I failed art class because cutting straight lines and using glue aren’t my specialty.

2. Commercial removable blinds, what’s everyone using and there likes/dislikes? My last boat had a bent up Jerry rigged cabelas scissor blind on it. Kinda been looking at the beavertail blind or the shaggy blind from backwater. Any one have reviews? Likes dislikes? Other blinds worth checking out?

Thanks

Littlesturgeon

Refuge Member
Reaction score
There is a place in saumico, aqua traction is the product, simuliar to hydro turf. This guy measures and custom cuts it.

Would you be opposed to a hard sided blind? Or scissor blind only?

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’d like a removable fold down type blind. I’ve hunted out of a permanent and it was very nice but I do so much different stuff I bet only use the blind 1/3 or 1/4 hunts or less depending on the year. Plus I live in the ghetto so my storage space is at a premium right now.

You have a name or # for the place in little Suamico? I’d be curious to see what he charges to get it done.

Littlesturgeon

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I know guys who have the beavertail and it’s ok. It seems there is really no smokin gun for scissor blinds. Another to look at is the axe blind by banded

Aqua traction-
Sunrise marine
[email protected]

ScottO

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have had the Flyway Specialties Easy-up blind on my 1860 Lowe for 12 seasons. It collapses differently than other blinds and gets completely out of the way. I had a Beavertail on a previous boat and hated how it got in the way of the tiller. Takes a bit to assemble for the first time, but then it's easy to take on and off. Fabric is a lighter weight nylon with 3D leaves. It has torn in a few places over the years, but I just repaired with zip ties. Great access for the dog on both sides of boat. Very quick to drop to get in or out or chase cripples. The top is nothing fancy, but it is effective. I close the shooting holes not in use. I finally broke the end off one of the poles last year and Jamey sent me 2 in the mail no charge in a couple days. Can't beat that.

https://flywayspecialties.com/

Kevin WI

Reaction score
I have yet to hunt out of my Beavertail....but after setting it up...here are some issues.....

1. the shooting holes don't line up with any of my seats.....went with 1700 vs 1600 and that is 4 slots vs 3....my guess is with the 3 it would have lined up better....I will have to pull the seats...and my front deck area is useless in this blind. guy would have to shoot layout style.
2. there is no spot for the dog....my blind goes from motor to bow and there is literally no place for the dog to exit or sit.
3. the bungee cords wrap around the pontoons of my tracker grizzly, so literally it's almost impossible to do this from the inside...and if you do...once your in, getting out is a hassle as you have to unstrap from the pontoons and the bow areas to flip the blind
20220612_153550.jpg

Other than that.......it's unfortunate that I didn't really learn this until after buying and assembling....too late now.

They do sell a dog door kit...but you have to cut a hole and sew it in and I lent my sewing machine to Betsy Ross.

It does grass nice with the stubble straps, and the travel cover gives room for grass.

ScottO

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Kevin - when I had a blind like that I just hooked the bungees on the corner of the boat. If there is too much slack I would just put knots in to shorten. With a camo boat I don't worry much about covering every inch of the hull with the blind. The way you have it in your pic would result in blind getting wet and would be a real pain in freezing temps.

Kevin WI

Reaction score
Kevin - when I had a blind like that I just hooked the bungees on the corner of the boat. If there is too much slack I would just put knots in to shorten. With a camo boat I don't worry much about covering every inch of the hull with the blind. The way you have it in your pic would result in blind getting wet and would be a real pain in freezing temps.
Like I said in the other post...the blind is not finished....only half the grass is on it and the bottom row will be doubled up.... ran out of time on weekend and boat is rented up north during the week....will have to get back to it this fall when I have help...... my god that thing weighs a ton for one person to haul around.

but getting back...you can see in the pic...the blind extends way past the rear corner...no amount of knots will shorten it enough to fit around the rear corners...I can however just let it flop.

Alldrakes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Beavertail is great. Just bring couple extra grass Matt’s and cover what you need covered. Seating, I just put on 3 more plates in the floor and it lines up perfectly. Best blind on the market !

kruschpa

Refuge Member
Reaction score
We went away from the pedestal seats and started using the bird and buck seats from WISE as they work great for storage and if you happen to have to hunt out of the boat due to low water.