COVID-19

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by carolina girl, Jun 17, 2021.

1. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Now that is about over, what are your thoughts? A year in retrospect.

I lost someone dear to me almost a year ago to the day. Not from the virus, but because of the virus. She couldn’t get the treatment she needed, no one wanted to see her in person. What did you learn?
    Are you vaccinated? Will you get vaccinated?
    Remember when we were told we can fish and hunt only for sustenance? We could go out on our boats if we stayed 6’ apart.

2. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Pretty sure my whole family went through it in Jan-feb of 2020 before there was teetering. A friend lost his daughter in April 2020 weight and general health was against her. Her husband never got it. I learned that a good portion of our society is week minded. Not vaccinated and not against vaccines I just feel like with proper hygiene I will be ok. If Canada makes it mandatory to have vaccine to go there I will be getting the shot.

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

This is all good until i interview one potential customer and cork-block them from making a purchase based on lack of medical information.
    Will I get sued for racial discrimination against Amish anti-vaxxers?
    If your pants don't have a zipper you might just be amish. Picking them out is ez

4. chessydogs

chessydogs Senior Refuge Member

Life didn’t change much other than not eating out for a while. Never missed a day of work. Hunted, fished and crabbed right through it all with the same guys I always do. Got vaccinated cause I know Canada will require it to cross the border whenever it opens up. Know several people that caught COVID. All recovered with minimal complications.

5. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

I can't complain. I have a secure job and was able to telework most of the time. Hunted and fished a lot. Saved a lot of gas.... Got much closer to the wife and was able to train my new pup periodically each day. Did not miss eating out or the movies one bit. Wife and I spent a LOT of time on HER boat during "Wife Season".

We both got our shots in April (and early May). Been nice not to have to wear a mask. '

TCS

Ruination and Mr_Mallard like this.
  6. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I remember just prior to hogan closing down the state, half my co-workers ran to the liquor store and stocked up.

Dirtybird420 likes this.
  7. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

It's going to be years before I am able to make an informed decision about what was necessary and not.

I got vaccinated.

Will be a few years before I learn if that was the right call or not as well.

The whole thing got way to absurdly political and most of the precautions I took were in respect to my wife.

8. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    I lost at least four somewhat close associates/friends to Covid; I think two of them died of death but were lumped into the Covid group. I took it seriously right from the start and began wearing masks in late March. As a construction company we kept pretty much busy working throughout the period...

My High school son took the biggest hit though. The Covid quarantine went into effect at the beginning of his Junior Lacrosse season ( it's his thing) and also made him study at home - no socialization, no hanging out etc... Senior year was much worse...no senior privileges' no hanging out, no dances, remote learning, with most people terrified of getting it it was pretty much complete isolation again... only bright spot was they did manage to have an 8 game lacrosse season.... Surprisingly, he did contract Covid while we were all in the process of getting immunized ( His mom/my wife was recently fully immunized, I was a week away from my second shot and he had just received his first shot the day before he was confirmed to have the Covid) we isolated him to the 3rd floor in our house and went on with life.... it hit him like a serious flu for about 4 days than he was fine.

Surprisingly the biggest effects of Covid are hitting us now in business... everyone is aware of the skyrocketing lumber prices, but there is a delay in getting almost any manufactured item ( just received a walk in display cooler for a liquor store buildout that normally takes 6 weeks from order to deliver - it took almost 14 weeks!) We didn't have such supply issues during the height of the pandemic.

I can't complain about getting a little government cheese ( handout) for the first time ever!

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

My life changed very little other than going out to eat/drink for a few months. I still went out and spent time with friends, shot a lot of clays, went to work, and travelled. Just had to wear a mask sometimes.

I will not be getting vaccinated for a disease I was never scared of.

DelFowl18 likes this.
  10. mdmallard

mdmallard Senior Refuge Member

My life changed very little personally. I have a job that allowed me to telework since March, 2020. My wife is in the medical field and has seen the impact of covid first-hand. We are very lucky that our family and friends stayed healthy and we made it through just fine financially.

I also agree that both sides made it political. My wife got vaccinated early on and I was fully vaccinated in mid-April. I'm in my late 30's, good health, etc and I didn't really ever think twice to be honest. Not because I'm scared for myself, but I understand we need the majority of people to get it for us to move on. I think we're on the right track.

I think there will be some permanent changes to our society/economy. I think it will hurt some people and also open doors for others.

Ruination likes this.