Crabs

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Jul 4, 2021.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

heard a friend who is commercial and crabs regularly complaining about the price for razor clams now and also said many comms are having trouble at times finding folks to bait their lines despite offering decent money to do so which is much more than minimum wage paying cash with no taxes taken out.

2. mooseknuckle

mooseknuckle Elite Refuge Member

Both true. CCA of Maryland, Shorerivers of Easton and Chesapeake Bay Foundation have been pushing anti clamming agendas for years. Was a time when the off limits area for clamming was essentially the grass line in 3 to 5 foot of water. Under pressure from the aforementioned groups the off limit areas are now much deeper and include areas where grass maybe just maybe might grow. This has shut down more than 50% of the areas where clammers traditionally worked. There is plenty of clams but not where clammers are now allowed to work.
    This isn't really about grass.... Its about shutting down clamming forever and taking the crabbing industry and the commercial waterman with it. This is the final endgame for CCA of Maryland, Shorerivers of Easton and Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

Dirtybird420 likes this.
  3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

This could go both ways for Me. I crabbed my whole life and never heard of razor clams until about 8 years ago. I’m 46. Doesn’t mean they didn’t exist, just that I didn’t know of them. Clams can only do the bay good, and the protection of them is good as well, for the bay……but, I trust what you say, if you think they can sustain current harvest rates

4. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Yea its a good hour or two. Basically going all the way around KI. Chester is a longggggggg river.

5. Ruination

Maybe, but using clams for crab bait is hardly a sustainable practice and dredging is bad for everything. There were clams in those areas before, afterall...

6. KIHokie

KIHokie Refuge Member

It seems ridiculous to me that people are allowed to dredge in the water - directly impacting the sediment/turbidity of the water. And yet a construction site gets a fine for any brown water leaving the site.

Ruination likes this.
  7. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

Until you’ve done it you aren’t allowed to say anything. Fact every clammer that dealt with this last year invited the board or delegate to hop on board for the day. To my knowledge none went. I consider myself a waterman an I will never ever clam for a living. It was horrible my few trips. The biggest problem in this bay is people. Rona tried to fix it but the world screwed that up to. How many of you goobers from save the bay are in that swarm of boats killing rockfish in front jelly fish Joel’s.

8. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I don’t really understand what your trying to say, dirtybird. I’m sorry.

9. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

No clammer works in sav bottom because it loads up the belt with crap. The clammers also offered the chance for any opposing party to go clamming. None went. To my knowledge. Point is you have people making laws/rules that don’t really kno dick about it. Again everyone wants to b a waterman n we all rape the bay. But in reality we want it to flourish cause if not guys like me will be laying block again or doing whatever jobs we had before.

10. Ruination

What does it being a ****ty job have to do with anything?

I assure you, DNR knows about clamming.

Of course you guys want it to flourish, as long as it doesn't hurt your bottom line. Watermen choose money over conservation 9/10...the one is my buddy who refuses to use his hook n line for rockfish.