Crabs

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

nothing really other then it sucks. I’d never wanna do it. Just adding my lil pea brain observation into it. Regardless till ya seen it u can pound sand. No grass harmed ever. I’m not saying they or I myself don’t make money but it’s not as much as you’d think. An I personally am questioning the risk verse reward with cost increases.

2. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

I have seen it. I've seen it from height. It's nothing but giant plumes of stirred up sediment surrounding the boats.

3. Dirtybird420

So looks like every boat wake that hits the bank where grass actually might grow. Got it. Again as much as it pains you n even me it’s been happening for years n the bay is still here. Bigger fish to fry then the clammers. Or waterman really. They raped the bay a lot more back then then now.

4. Dirtybird420

Simple question. If I plan on making a living. I’m 33 so I got a good bit of time left. Do you think I’d want people or myself to have a negative impact on the resources that I hope to make a living from. Be pretty crappy business if I did. An I’ll take my daily lessons n the Ol timers who’ve been there their entire lives doing n seeing it over any dumb college kid or person who spends 3 weeks a year on the water telling me what’s good or bad.

5. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

I mean, I love my soft shell clams. I don't want clamming to die. I just see clamming for crab bait a bit wasteful. Clamming licenses have gone up a ton with the demand for crab bait.

I doubt the dredges really damage much in the grand scheme of things do to their silt. However that silt represents a destruction of the bottom.

I understand your point of view. But dozens of commercial crabber friends would absolutely be okay with completely wiping out the rockfish population.

1996 I could catch a bushel of crabs off my dock in a tiny creek with 4 handlines. I'd be lucky to get 6 today.

In the 50s 50k bushels of clams a year destroyed the clam population. We're up to 30k again now.

I'd be all for paying every commercial watermen their profit from their best year ever for the next 5 to just do nothing.

Right after I take my homemade sub and torpedo the fish oil vacuum in Virginia.

6. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

If you’ve never used clams before, there’s a big difference and I could see why crabbers both recreational and commercial alike, would be reluctant to give them up

7. Dirtybird420

Soft shell clams an the razor clams they use for bait are two different animals. An yes I kno watermen who would b ok with over fishing but those are the ones who need to fade away. Pollution is the bays biggest problem. An honestly there’s plenty of crabs n fish in the bay. There’s also plenty of sucky fishermen in the bay that can’t catch anything. I’d just as soon start crabbing a few weeks later n never use a clam again wouldn’t bother me one bit.

8. carolina girl

I was the opposite, if I couldn’t get clams or my line puller didn’t work, I didn’t work

9. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    I have mixed emotions on the subject of the Bay... as a youngster, I grew up on the Eastern shore, and enjoyed all that it offered. I crabbed commercially, mated on charter boats, and did a little waterfowl guiding.... needless to say, I was into it! There were coolers full of 25" + rockfish taken all summer long, 14# bluefish as well! going fishing was fun. Did I mention the fact that in mid summer, the crabs ( mostly sooks but quite a few males) would swim along the tide lines just below the surface allowing anyone to easily boat a bushel for dinner or crabcakes with a dipnet in less than an hour?) But by the late 70's/early 80's the writing was on the wall already do to speak. At that time my limited knowledge ( not unlike most of the politicians, waterman, scientist, et al), clearly indicated that the Bay was declining... as a child I could see the bottom of the river all summer long, by the time I was entering high school that only was a possibility in the winter. Pollution, run off, population growth all added to the deterioration of the water and its inhabitants. The last 30 or so years the Bay has aged as I have.. The older watermen have perfected their craft and are good at their trade, but all of them will bemoan the fact of the dwindling catch... I am afraid that the younger ones don't know quite what they have missed.
    Today, the internet is packed with Axxholes acting like they are discovering how to fish and crab, and extolling their success as nothing short of magical... I love the Chesapeake, and if you cut into my arms, I pray that my blood will still run out brackish from my early life on the shore... but I no longer have any desire to venture forth on the bay in quest for one sportfish... to fight the crowds to catch a bushel of crabs... not worth it.. IN 1965 my grandfather escaped his life in the city and retired to a glorious waterfront farm in the shore... my family soon followed... it is nothing like it once was, and never will be again.... as I enter my golden years I am beginning to explore new estuaries south of the Chesapeake...looking for that quiet, peaceful and plentiful world of my youth... It is not the waterman, not the farmers, not the developers, and not the pollution, but it is a combination of all of those factors placing stress on a fixed ecosystem that was never intended to support the pressure we place on it Sorry end of rant

Rudder, derek, Ruination and 2 others like this.
  10. carolina girl