Crack in stock

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Winchester 1897, Oct 12, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

1. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I've noticed that there is crack in my buttstock on my 1100. Is there a way to keep the crack from spreading?

2. Cootsmashfever

Cootsmashfever New Member

Depends on the location but you can drill it and use a small brass pin to fill it at the end, depends where the crack is too.

Sunklands likes this.
  3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

What loads are you shooting?

4. Winchester 1897

3 in Kent's and Remington. The crack has been there for some time. but I noticed it has grown

5. Winchester 1897

Right behind receiver heading towards the pistol grip.

6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

with it spreading I am not sure there is much hope to keep the crack from growing larger. change of temps and moisture to dry will more than likely keep the crack growing over time. when I wore out my pops 1972 1100 stock and forearm I went with synthetic. no more worries other than skuffs.

7. Cootsmashfever

Cootsmashfever New Member

You can also use wood dowels, drill, fill with gorilla glue and leave the dowel in. Midway USA has a lot or videos of stock repairs

Sunklands likes this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I can tell you what I have done to fix a few , I use paneling nails as I cut the head off , find a drill bit that's a little smaller than the nail .
    I try to locate where the crack stops , drill a hole with that bit to stop it from cracking farther . I then drill a hole across the crack at the beefiest part of
    the stock where the crack is , then pry with a razerblades point to open the crack , just a little to allow the Gorilla Glue to seep into the crack ! I do wet the wood
    at the crack before adding the glue , once the glue is completely through the crack I drive the paneling nail all the way into the stock , counter sinking it .
    Then I wrap string around the stock , at the crack , to keep the crack tight , untill the glue dries ! Works for me .
    I even have friends with cracked stocks I fixed 30 / 35 years ago , still shooting the same guns . FWIW

10GAGENUT likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

All of the above except for the monkey glue which swells even when clapped tight, use the thin C.A glue instead so it runs deep down into the crack.
    Personally I'd buy synthetic stocks and never look back, they are pretty reasonable from after market sellers and repair the wood stock or find a new used one.

10. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

If you decide not to repair 1100 stocks can be found for reasonable prices new on ebay and other sites. Lots of take offs from synthetic replacement from years past.

callinfowl likes this.