Custom Signature?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Hawk, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I have never used photoshop before. I have a camera now and would love to use a custom signature. I have Photoshop CS3 on my computer. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. Is there anyone that has Instructions for Dummies for Photoshop and Custom Signatures?:D

I did check the sticky and played around a little bit. I tried the tutorial but I don't even know where to start, so that didn't work.

I then tried to follow these instructions:Select the text tool and choose any font you want
    Set the foreground colour to black and type your name
    Now do Edit>Define brush ... give it a name and click OK.
    Go to your brushes palette and last one on the list will now be your new signature brush.

I got the text tool and font selected. I think I set the foreground color to black but I'm not sure. I typed my name. I want to put the copyright symbol in how do I do that?

If anyone has any help that would be great! Seriously I know nothing so you would have to break it down in the rawest form. Don't be afraid to treat me like you would treat a little kid if you were giving instructions.:scratch

I think the signature thing is a really cool concept and would love to try it but I have no manual for my photoshop program. I have a program that came with my camera which is easy to run but my wife says it's just the standard program for photos. mess with light and dark, crop, brightness, contrast, etc.

I know I'm probably asking a lot here, but I'm guessing I'm also not the only one wondering how to do it? it just looks so neat on all the pictures I see on here.

2. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

All of the tutorials are fine but there are a lot of easier ways to do this than using so called signature brushes. It's amazing that not everyone gets confused by all of the lame means of doing this. I even read one thing on this site that says you have to flatten an image before you can add the copyright which is bull hockey! The main thing is to make a signature that you can apply to all different image sizes that is scalable and easy to change colors. You will save this as a PSD with all of the layers.

1. Make a background layer an size it to what you would normally crop to for display on the web. So [File] [New] and make it 800W X 600H. (Background color white)

2. Grab your text tool (color Black) and lets make the signature.
    First....Hold down the [ALT] and type using the numeric key pad
    0169 and boom you have the ? sign......Then type your signature. Not all fonts will display the copyright symbols so pick Verdana for it and then highlight your remaining name and change the font to what you need.

If you look at the layers pallet you will see a background layer and a type layer. Select that type layer and move it anywhere on the background you want it to go. (using the move tool)...actually we just want to get a basic signature idea as to positioning, so it really does not matter as to where you put it just get the size right as you want it to display.

Now using the rectangular marquee tool, select an area around your signature that includes all of the signature as well as some background around it and do an [EDIT/COPY]. Do a [FILE/NEW] and open the new image.
    leave the size as it is, but make the background transparent.

Then just do an [EDIT/PASTE] and your signature layer will appear on the new transparent BG.
    Do a [SAVE/AS ######Name or whatever and as a PSD.

So now all you have to do is open that PSD besides your image and drag the text layer onto your image. Then you can highlight that text layer on your image and scale it or color it to any thing you want...

The above is just to have a signature layer to add to images, but you can just do it to each image as you work by doing the above on the image itself.

Always work in layers! There are hundreds of free Photo Shop tutorials on the web as well as in the program itself.

Dizzy

3. brdemkr

brdemkr Elite Refuge Member

I have always done it the way Dizzy describes it. I've also looked at the other tutorials, but come back to this "simple and easy" way of doing it.

If you are adding the signature to several images in one sitting, it's faster for me to copy the text layer into the clipboard. (Dizzy explains how to do it in his section "2"). I open all the images I want to add the signature to, then copy the signature text layer into the clipboard, then I paste (crtl-v) into the top image . Position as necessary, save, and close. Then proceed to the next image, paste/position/save/close, and repeat until all the images have the signature.

Of course, I've automated it a bit with actions, but we'll save that course for later...

Brian

4. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys. I will give it a try when I get a chance. Now that I've got my new toy and am snaping a picture here or there a signature I thought would be a nice addition to some of the shots.