Cut Down suggestions

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by JohnBZ, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:23 PM.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Thinking of dipping my toes into the world of cutdowns. Most of my duck hunting is along or over open water. Often very competitive hunting for pressured birds. Figure another tool in the box wont hurt anything. Im looking for some suggestions. I know they require different air presentation/more air. Im not too worried about that part. Trying to sort through all the muck and determine the best place to start. I dont know the sound difference between a Louisiana cut or Arkansas cut cutdown. Hard to get a firm answer on that. They are obviously cut different. But how does that translate to sound. Aside from that, what is your suggestion for a good call to run with ?

2. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

I like the Addiction Detox, easy to run and great place to start before diving into the different Mondos.

frozen okie likes this.
  3. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I just picked up a Mondo L.A.S.
    After blowing it I decided that I really don't care for the short barrel that much, the air stacks up to quickly for my likes.
    I stuffed the insert into an old hard rubber Olt barrel which is the same length as the standard mondo barrel. It runs a whole lot better for me now. And I pressure fit a 3/4" brass ferrule from a copper compression fitting so my lanyard won't be able to slip off.
    I've blown several mondos and Olts, and Im really liking it his LA cut so far.

Good luck with your search.
    DanK
    2019-10-05 23.20.05.jpg

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If you go through the videos on upperduck.com, you should find examples of both cuts in RNT's Mondo series.

JohnBZ likes this.
  6. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Thanks. Ill check it out.