California Flyway Forum Sponsors

CWA Board Statement - 2021 Position on Mallard Limits

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Dan Yparraguirre

Dan Yparraguirre Senior Refuge Member

If I highlighted correctly in the above, one comment: which I am sure you know but to remind for clarity - decisions (if we mean about CA hunting regulations) are not made by biologists. Biologists make recommendations.

afmoto likes this.
  2. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I’d kind of like to know who penned that “breaking news” memo..

The real hero in this whole Disaster was Dan “the Man” Manila...for posting of what was going down and his input. Thanks Dan

Imo As soon as this thing hit the airwaves CWA knew they had a problem and once Merlo posted his lame excuse of justification along with his pheasant theory and his baiting comments they had to reversed their decision it was a given...

They had no choice, even before the first 6 emails hit the server that decision was made.

Once CWA seen money flying out of their pockets faster than a hound dog on a rabbit track they knew it was a big mistake.

They’re running a big business they’re smart guys their mommas didn’t raise no fools..

It’s really sad that Duckhunting has turned into a huge money and politics game... Who would’ve ever thought ..

CWA is going to be playing damage control for some time...

They need to make some brownie points and getting after the LK issue is a start !!! IMO

We’ll have to wait and see what happens on the 14th and I’m sure all this hoopla has drifted over to the commission we still can hope for the best.

In the meantime thanks again Dan for being our eyes and ears out there..

Brottboss, circlehooker and toulon like this.
  3. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

It seems every thing these days is political. Hard to stomach all of it sometimes to be honest with you. Hunting was supposed to be our escape from it and now we can't even do that without it finding us.

Brottboss, Refugeguy and 7pntail like this.
  4. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Post of the week right there !! :tu

Refugeguy and Mudtoes like this.
  5. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

Crazy...almost like every other facet of life. Now if we could just eliminate the human factor from every other aspect of our lives, all will be right with the world :l
    Thanks for your work on this issue and many others, Rick. That goes for the rest of the guys involved as well :tu

DuckFan likes this.
  6. Silver Wings

With so much California land and water involved it’s unfortunate, but inevitable.

7. Silver Wings

Agreed...I’ve never been a member of any organization that I agreed with 100% of the time. If anyone knows of one please PM :l

Calikev, Another Mike and Mudtoes like this.
  8. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Whoa....Where did I say anybody should dictate policy on personal views or popularity? I believe we need better communication within our ranks. We have a diverse group, right? People with Different thinking on actions that affect waterfowl. We read it here daily.

Why not address that up front and show people what really is the science, and how it was created. Are there gaps in the science? Maybe. Maybe not. Some may believe there is, and don't we want to help educate them as best can be done so everybody has access to the same information? That way we don't have these situations where we could end up going against 'science'. I want us to be able to work with those in 'science' ahead of time...so that concerns you might have, or anyone else can be understood. Then addressed long before the recommendations from 'science' come out. And follow that science!. That way the voices trying to derail the science process get to understand why science is saying what it is....and we don't end up with everyone thinking they can have a view that can change the results.

You are making my points, so not sure what I wrote would have given you a different view of my position.

As to your comment 'why in the world would the CWA push to decrease the limit anyway?'. I didn't understand either. That's why I was against their original recommendation.

Perhaps reading Roc's posts and talk to him and others that held that view, they could share that with you.

Time for me to work on other things in life. Happy to talk to you or anyone if you like. Via DM or phone call if needed. At times, its hard to understand someone just by a written post.

Rick

9. afmoto

afmoto Elite Refuge Member

Rick, I think you might've misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was really referring to your statement "not all members of CWA think alike..." and trying to get across the point that most members are realistically just operating from anecdotal evidence at best, so CWA should rely first on actual scientific data as opposed to any sort of "thinking" or "consensus" from the membership (or leadership). Waterfowl populations thrive based on actual data, not people's opinions (mine included), therefore I would expect CWA leadership to act mostly based on biologists recommendations. Of course it would be smart to communicate to the membership why certain decisions were made and maybe cite the data and recommendations from biologists, but I personally wouldn't want decisions made based on polling the membership at large. Makes sense?

10. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I believe that all California waterfowl hunters are concerned about declining mallards in California. I also believe the vast majority agree that a 5/1 limit on lards but keeping the full 107 season isn't going to do anything for the population. And not enough people are willing to voluntarily go to a 60 day season and a 3/1 limit.

Habitat is the key thing. Without it you can't have pheasants, mallards, sprig, sage hen, deer or any other species.

Huntsprig, API and Mudtoes like this.