Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Dead duck comes back to life...for about 3 seconds.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 24, 2020.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I snuck away from work the other day and went out to try for some afternoon mallards before they all migrate south. Couldn't get permission for the field I wanted, so I took a chance on an iffy field. Shot a couple birds at the end, when I was about to leave early, and didn't get them on camera. Shot a strange pair of eclipse drakes that came in. Went out and picked them up, even lifted up to show their heads on camera, laid them down by my layout blind, and was about to get back in when one of them took off on me. I've never had that happen before , where a bird that had zero movement when I picked it up and laid it down came back to life and flew off. I had tried for head shots on the two birds, and I figure maybe I dinged one pellet off its skull and had knocked it out maybe? Weird. I show the birds at about 1:50 on the video, and shoot it at 2:08...for the second time. Sorry , I say a bad word as well.

I also came to the conclusion that shooting birds on my hard right (I.m a leftie) is much harder while wearing the brace, and I come out of battery and end up shooting the gun off my muscle, and out of line with my face. I had an easy triple, but muffed it when the gun mount moved because of the body brace. Lesson learned. Shoot them out front if possible, or even to the left (which is normally a harder shot for me out of a layout). Did get a triple on a left hand swing, so that made my day.

I did have some opportunitites for singles when bigger flocks were working. I think I may have to reconsider that "bird in the hand" thing while hunting.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Reelcranky, JD1107, JRS and 3 others like this.
  2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Had it happen with a blue wing teal before. Floating on the water, picked it up, tossed it over by where we were stand in the cattails, floating on the water. 5 minutes later, flew away. Another interesting life experience.

3. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

I've had that happen too Warren.

4. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

3 birds came into a beaver pond, shot them all - a rare feat for me. Picked up 2 mallards and hung them in a bush, then went looking for the woodie that fell long. Came back a few minutes later with the duck and one of the mallards had swam off. Still claiming it...

5. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

We laid a goose outside of the pit and after a while, we looked out and it was gone. We did happen to see it running off and chased it down and got it though.

6. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

A buddy had shot a dove, put it in his vest...felt something moving. The dove made it to the opening and started to fly away. My buddy shot it again, and while putting it in his game bag said "And STAY there, this time!"
    Had a Canada goose come to life in a pit. It was like a cage death match! They can really flog, peck and scratch in a confined place!

7. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

This post brought back a childhood memory. Two brothers from down the street and myself went shoot a woodie hole and only two ducks were taken during the hunt. The brothers argued over who shot both ducks, the older brother took them and put them into his game vest. When we got out of the swamp and to my parents yard, he pulls both ducks out of his vest and as he’s tossing them on the ground, the woodie hen comes to life and never hits the grass. We never see her again. Good times.

8. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

Another bizarre one happened when I came home with three of the giant Canadas, quite dead. Drove one hour home, took pictures, and put them in my deer and beer refrigerator. The next day they were all jumbled about and goose crap was everywhere.

Vammy and Athos like this.
  9. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

Typically on double retrieves I'll go ahead and carry one bird back to the pile on the bank behind where we sit and Zip would be along shortly with the second bird and drop it in the pile. It was a pair of goldeneye on this particular occasion and both the bird I had and the one Zip brought laid belly up in the pile. I did notice strangely enough that the black pupil on one was tiny and the other big, but didn't think a lot about it. I took the opportunity since I was up to bring lunch down from the truck and when I got back I had just a glimpse of one of the drakes sliding into the water after about a 15 yard overland trek unnoticed and he didn't come up for air for a good hundred yards down river. On a bit of an unrelated note, in my trapping days I usually dispatched 'possum by breaking there necks. On one trip I threw the "dead" 'possum in my pack basket and threw it on my back, it wasn't long before I was shedding that pack to the hissing of a live smiler climbing out.

10. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Love your videos but the audio on your last couple has been messed up for me. Can't hear a word you're saying.

Ruination likes this.