Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Dead duck comes back to life...for about 3 seconds.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

We call em zombie ducks. They come back from the dead.

As stated, they are usually shot in or through the head. The shock turns the lights out, but the survival instinct shakes them back to life after a few minutes.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I think it is a problem with the SD card. I'm going to replace it and try a new card tomorrow and see how it does.

3. bang you'r dead

It was just weird. The bird was completely limp in hand, and you could see that it appeared totally dead, but perhaps it is the beginning of the duck zombie apocalypse.

4. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had pheasants come alive in the game bag, and a time following my buddy in his truck and a rooster jumped up and flew out of the bed.

Last year, had a dead goose laid behind my layout; literally 20 min later he smacked me in the head with a wing and took off running. Finished him, but he left a mark.

They ain’t dead ‘til they’re dead

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

The statute of limitations has expired so I feel somewhat comfortable telling the tale. Hunting alone in a snowstorm, I had the opportunity to rip into a flock of bluebills (I thought) and I run it to the plug on my 870, dropping 5 ducks. One of the birds was a lively cripple and made it to the channel before I could get the poke boat out. I picked up the 4 dead ducks and amazingly, the bluebills turned into canvasbacks. Obviously nervous in my predicament (no season that year on cans) I did take the time to snap a photo before hauling azz. I lined up the ducks on a log, walked off a short distance, turned to take the pic and one of the ducks was STANDING on the log. Fortunately, he didn't have enough umph to take off flying or swimming and I quickly rung it's neck.

riverrat47, Out of focus and Vammy like this.
  6. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

It's not really any of my business but the SD card isn't likely to cause what you're seeing because it doesn't appear your video is skipping/degraded. If it was the SD card I'd expect the video quality to suffer much more than the audio. I'd recommend checking the camera/mic before you're in a hunting environment. If the camera has a plug for an external mic you should try using that to see if bypassing the internal mic changes anything. Also, take a very close look at the mic itself for any dust or particles that might be in the hole(s).

7. bang you'r dead

I have multiple cameras, and the SD card is defective. Bought a new one today and I'll give it a try tomorrow. Have permission for a good field I think.

8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Back in the day jackets had a game pocket.
    Ive had zombie ducks come back to life in my pocket. Imagine if it happened in front of a game warden. How many violations is it? Pretty sure just the fact that it was alive is one. It got away and you didn't even try catching it. Thats two.
    If the gw misidentified it and counted it in your bag could be three. Suppose gw says its a pelican.

9. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Cousin and I were dove hunting a huge field near a large pond. Toward the other end of the pond, several geese flew in and began feeding in the field. My cousin got into the trees bordering the field and went toward the other end of the pond toward the geese. A shot rang out, and a goose dropped stone dead. Cousin came back without the goose, and told me he would go pick him up after we got through hunting. Goose was upside down for about 30 minutes, then we see him turn over, shake himself a few times like a dog shedding water, and haul *** outa there. I couldn't help but bust out laughing.

Vammy and GUNNERX2 like this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Old codger I hunt with had shot a banded black duck and put it in the freezer for mount. His woman opened the freezer the next morning, and that duck was standing there asleep on one foot with its head tucked under its wing. It woke and went crazy. He was in the kitchen with her and grabbed it and wrung its neck.

Zane likes this.