Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Dead duck comes back to life...for about 3 seconds.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I hunted with a bunch that would shoot and insisted you had to not retrieve birds because that ruins shot opportunities. Im sure they had houdini zombie ducks.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Neither bird looked well hit, the left bird definitely wasn't so it's not surprising. I've seen birds run/swim/fly off more times than I care to admit.Most have been recovered. I make point now to hold the bird by the body and swing it, bouncing its head off the stock of my gun or anything solid hard enough that the head is bleeding. Some people say it's sick and uncalled for, I say it prevents suffering.

The time I remember the most was when a friend and I had a long hunt and had taken birds back to the truck mid day when we got food. When we got back to the truck after the hunt and opened the window of the topper a drake greenwing started flying around inside. He had been there 4 hours or more and had been laying dead in the bottom of the blind for at least another hour.

3. glock

glock Refuge Member

In high school I shot a goose. Tossed in the trunk of my car and dropped off a friend at his house. Opened the trunk and the goose flew off.

4. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Shot a bluebill in ND a few years back and it looked like I stoned it. Dog got out and went to fetch it and the bird dove. It literally came out of the water flying about 20 yards further out and never looked back.

5. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Looks like the 2nd shot is just a bit off. Going to guess the bird lost consciousness. Pretty funny that it just got up and flew away.

I think everyone has had birds "dead on the water" that make a miraculous recovery. You just retrieve yours fast.

Had a snow goose pop it's head up from my truck bed one time. Luckily, I hadn't hit highway yet.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Saw a snow goose fly out of the bed of a pickup four hours and fifteen miles from where it was shot. I'd hunted a pit close to camp and was getting things ready to start breakfast when I heard a truck pull in. As I walked out men were jumping out of all four doors and running to the truck bed. Just as a couple dove over the sides, a snow squirted out from between them and flew off. He appeared totally healthy.

They killed three shows that morning that dumped in just after shooting time, and all played dead on the bench while the guys shot limits of ducks in the next few hours. They then carried the dead ducks and three geese to the truck and headed for camp. Coming up the last stretch of gravel, the driver noticed a goose head looking around.

7. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

It was the bufflehead that wouldn't die.
    After a few skull cracks on the stock of my gun and I 2.5 hours ride home I took my daily haul out of my decoy bag and lay the little buffy on the ground. Spread her wings out and go to pull out a handful of feathers and that poor little girls head popped straight up and looked at me... I was mortified. I immediately looped its head clean off.
    Will never forget that little hen.

8. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Had a live coyote in the back of a pickup once.

9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Better in the back of the truck rather than the cab.

creedsduckman likes this.
  10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

GUNNERX2 likes this.