Dear MLB

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Don't matter how you spend it , anything spent watching any other AL east team but the Yankees would be a waste of money. :dv

salthunter

Reaction score
I havent watched a full game of anything in 25 years. I had gone to a Utah Jazz and Trailblazers in Portland and SLC, As a chaperone each time.
I cant get into it anymore, I had been a regular at Mn Twins and NorthStars .But I also played ball and hockey at that time.

If you like the game go help coach a kids,, or your highschools games. ( like kids, grandkids, neighbor kids)

Northhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Number one on the list
I ask the question "Why?"
...there will be one “Reverse ATM” machine that can exchange cash to card for use at concession and merchandise stands. The machine is located on the Lower-Level Concourse adjacent to First Aid near Gate D.
One machine for 20-40,000 people. That sounds super awesome. Sounds like they don't do physical tickets either? They want attendees to gain entry using digital tickets using the parks complimentary Wi-Fi - that's great, until thousands of people are trying to get in and it goes down.. or something happens to the network that hosts the "tickets".
What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

I know you guys didn't hear about it down south, but Canada had a bit of an episode a couple weeks ago. Rogers Telecommunications (which holds quite a bit of a monopoly up here) had an outage that started about 5am on a Friday morning and lasted into Saturday. It affected interact, ATM's, wire transfers, most credit cards, cell phone service, emergency networks, etc... all as millions of people headed to work on a Friday morning. Many were supposed to get paid and didn't. I don't know how many filled up their tanks on the way to work and then found out they had no way to pay (because everyone has learned to rely on digital currency and plastic). I actually keep cash in my wallet and was happy I had it.
Technology is great until it fails. Dependence on it is short-sighted and mind-bogglingly stupid.

Anyone with recent military service or backcountry experience has likely used GPS and found it convenient to use. That doesn't mean you throw away basic land navigation or the ability to read a compass. Because if you're clueless on that chit and the GPS goes down, you're kinda F^@#'d.

Seems like society is hell bent on dangling a carrot in front of the jaws of disaster. I don't get it.

Hawk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just went to my first game in a few years a couple of days ago. Tried to buy tickets at the ticket office. "Sorry sir, we don't give out physical tickets anymore, you need to download the MLB Ballpark app. The tickets will then be sent right to you.". Ok it all worked out, took about 10 extra minutes and was news to me. Meanwhile as I wait in line other people have physical paper tickets and I was wondering why couldn't we just get those?

Northhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just went to my first game in a few years a couple of days ago. Tried to buy tickets at the ticket office. "Sorry sir, we don't give out physical tickets anymore, you need to download the MLB Ballpark app. The tickets will then be sent right to you.". Ok it all worked out, took about 10 extra minutes and was news to me. Meanwhile as I wait in line other people have physical paper tickets and I was wondering why couldn't we just get those?

Season ticket holders? Or possible they printed them themselves.

Before covid I was going to the Bell Centre 1-2 times a year to see a Habs game. We had done all 3 - digital, physical tickets, or you could print a paper copy of the digital ticket yourself. What they scanned made no difference to them. But it was nice to have options.
And they took cash.

letmwurk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Unless someone gives me tickets for free for a professional sports team(nfl, nba, nhl, mlb) I’m not paying for them. I used to work in the front office for a MLB team 25 years ago. Our most expensive ticket that year was $15. I’ve no clue what it is now but I’d bet you can’t get seats for that team behind home plate for less than $200 and it’s probably closer to $500.

I don’t follow any professional sports leagues anymore at all. I only follow college football now and love it but it, too, is becoming more professionalized. We are rapidly approaching an era where I‘m not going to want to follow any FBS football aside from some of the G5 leagues maybe. Hopefully the FCS maintains their integrity. I’ll probably end up watching FCS which is great football particularLu because they aren’t going the route of FBS - at least yet.

If I want to take my kids to a professional sports game I opt for the minor leagues. I have minor league baseball and hockey nearby and my kids don’t care that it’s not MLB or NHL. It’s even better because we can get seats on the glass for minor league hockey for $12 each and a beer is $4 and parking is $3. We see NHL-level players competing in seats that would probably go for $1,000 at a Sharks game. Same game, same players just a lot less expensive and crowded. At the minor league hockey games they may have 3,000 people there - that’s on a weekend. It’s super spread out and relaxed. Pretty much the perfect environment for little kids to go see a game.

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t do that anymore. It’s all online and apps. Can’t even take cash into the park. It will not be honored
OT: There was a thread some time ago about businesses not wanting to accept cash (they had to make a deposit every evening/night), well I went to a club to shoot a round of Sporting Clays I asked about if they prefered cash or credit and lo & behold they said that Credit was prefered (they accepted cash but) and it was for that same reason: they didn't have to make a deposit. Interesting.
Also I had to have a chest x-ray, got an email for the payment-all billings are done by email/electronically now no paper billings and yes you had to do a couple of pages to set up an account. I really don't want to get a printer....