Decoy death trap

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Pastor, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

It's been a crazy year and I never got a day to pick up my decoys after season. My bride went down around February with hip nerve problems and time got away from me. She had surgery in May and then another surgery in July on her knee so I've been mom and dad.

Anyway, I decided if one of the boys goes to work with me that I could probably get them all rounded up on my lunch break. ( i hunt where i work) So Nate and I paddle out to a few that I thought had just blown together in some wind. When I grab the wad of decoys I notice a rope tied to one and I start pulling on it but it didn't dawn on me what it was until I felt the sharp pain. Im pretty sure it was one of the migrant vineyard workers who decided to run trot lines and use my decoys as a tie off point. They made an absolute mess out of my decoy lines and defiantly caused me some serious pain. It didn't appear that they ever checked the line. I had to push the big hook on through my skin and then cut the barb off.

I'm so glad I didn't hunt it without knowing and send my dog into that death trap. Nate sitting there in the boat with me helped remind me to keep my composure and set a good example but i was torked off just a bit.[​IMG]I had to just cut all the lines. There are hooks all in them anyway. It will be much easier to just restring them and salvage the weights.The blue and white line was the trot line.[​IMG]

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

I don't think the pictures loaded in the first post 20190806_122052.jpg 20190809_111244.jpg

3. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Ouch!! Criminy!

Tuleman likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I'd be hunting Mexicans to find out which one those belong to, then have a little word to word with them.
    No interpreter needed !!!

Birdcrazy likes this.
  5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

6. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I can't believe those migrant vineyard workers were so defiant.

Jonathan Knopp likes this.
  7. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

Ouch. Make sure you are up to date on your tetanus shot.

Sunklands, callinfowl and riverrat47 like this.
  8. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

LA in ATL likes this.
  9. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Ive used that method a few times. Works great. Worst one ive dealt with was after we landed a 20lb chinook caught on a crankbait that i replaced the treble hooks on with heavy duty oversized hooks. My buddy netted the fish and went to unhook it and it shook its head. Put the 3rd hook into the meat of his thumb and started thrashing. We cut the hook off of the lure and i used the string method. Now, all the thrashing may have helped open the wound channel up but it worked like a charm.

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

String method works great. I've even done it on myself.