Decoy ID

salthunter

Reaction score
Years back on the lake we hunted the expectation, if you found a decoy it was now your job to return it to the owner.

A big bag with 22 decoys blew out of my truck,,, Mom saw the add in the paper and was really mad at her 30 something sons,, who had painted right over my phone number .

And the guys wife who was really mad when she saw my name and phone number on the bottom of the decoys he found ( blew ourt of my truck too)

I dont plan on fully ID' ing my snow goose decoys, Just too many. But what do you do to mark your decoys when hunting with others ?

Last edited:

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
20220531_185418.jpg

burgawboy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The young guys randomly bring me decoys they have found in case they belong to me. They are trying to find out if I was hunting the area. I accept the decoys as if they were mine and then later tell them I wasn’t hunting the area but thanks!:l

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
I don't recall ever losing a decoy. Sank a couple tho. So, no, not going to go to the trouble marking them.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think all my plastic decoys have my initials on them, at least the ones that are the same as the ones other guys I hunt with have.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I learned to use junk decoys when I hunt with others. Funny how I haven't lost a decoy since I started that but I lost several per season prior to that. All of my decoys have always been marked so IMO I wasn't losing them by chance. After a season or 2 of my junker policy I stopped hunting with those I determined to be decoy poachers.

Phytoplankton

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I never mark mine, though I can usually tell mine by the weights, line, and knots on the decoys. If I lose on, it happens. I did find one a few years ago that I had lost about 10 years earlier. Was amazed it hadn’t disintegrated, but it was buried deep in the tiles.

Latest posts