Decoy ID

Deltaman

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of mine have initials, but all have the same tangle-free line and 6 oz. strap weights, making them easy to identify if hunting with others. Found decoys are returned if I know the owner, and added to my bag if not.

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I initial all of mine with a sharpie on top of an engraving. . Never thought to add my phone number, but that makes sense, maybe this Fall when I prep them.
We once lost a bag of geese on the highway. I said we should tie them down, we had a truck bed net right here....I says." Naw, we're only going a mile up the road...."he says. Take 10 seconds I says. Naw....it'll be alright he says. We saw them rolling off the stack when we hit 70. " Oh expletives we all says." A quick U-ie we does, watching that no others roll off. Trucker blows his horn and points his thumb back....he does. We goes back, we do, make another U-ie, we does. We get the bag, it's worn and ripped, and a few decoys have their paint worn down a bit....they do. What a jerk I am....he says. I say nothing....I do.
We retell the story opening day every year now, and laugh like heck.....we does.

salthunter

Reaction score
Im just not wanting to write out my whole name on snow goose decoys Socs and fullbodies. Mostly to keep decoys separate eventually from our partners This year my socs were seperate by a few hundred yards from :Tims" decoys"

We were moving decoys around with every wind change,,, after 15 days of hunting they were very mixed from how hey were set.

salthunter

Reaction score
I learned to use junk decoys when I hunt with others. Funny how I haven't lost a decoy since I started that but I lost several per season prior to that. All of my decoys have always been marked so IMO I wasn't losing them by chance. After a season or 2 of my junker policy I stopped hunting with those I determined to be decoy poachers.
Hope you took their boat plug

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hope you took their boat plug
Nah, I'm meaner than that. I send them bad Intel via the grapevine and they end up 50-100 miles from the hot spot. They have yet to catch on. :dv
:dv:dv

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m just the opposite. When I hunt with good buddies, I purposely stick a few of my decoys in their bags. It’s less I’ll have to store in the off season.

GK1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If decoys float off or blow out the back of the truck or boat then it's on me. Never have I even considered marking my decoys in any way.

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, all my decoys were initialed and some had phone number. Back then, several guys would bring decoys to hunt that day and it just kept the confusion down. Now, it's just me and my son and I store all the decoys at my house so it makes no difference. He's gonna have to deal with ownership when I'm gone anyways.

NW BIRDHUNTER

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I mark some of mine for hunting in groups, and the slim chance they get stolen, just so I have some way to prove ownership. A company used to offer decoy brands for branding your decoy for I.D.