Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Decoy paint

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by TheDuckSlayer, Jul 5, 2020.

1. wtrfwlr43

wtrfwlr43 Elite Refuge Member

These were various brands of decoys with different paint schemes that I painted all of the drakes to pretty much match. The picture is before I coated them with Rustoleum Clear Matte. I used acrylic paint. Hand painted all. The paint has held up well. The hens I just touched up the bills and speculums. Did it make a difference to the ducks, No. It was a labor of love for me. upload_2020-7-6_3-47-34.png

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I went to the trouble of learning to airbrush (OK, half-*** airbrush), so by golly, that's how I redo the bulk of what I redo. But I still do the detail by brush. Some circa '70s G&H pintails from my first spread (cut their stiff, front-and-center necks and re-"welded" them at angles on my college hot plate) that I redid to brighten my little pothole spread:
    upload_2020-7-6_5-9-19.jpeg

And some GHG jacks spruced up in a failed attempt to interest their kind in a hole too small for their liking:
    upload_2020-7-6_5-19-51.jpeg

Regardless of species, distance has been my work's friend:
    upload_2020-7-6_5-24-10.jpeg

JonVeeDub, sdkidaho, Mort and 3 others like this.
  3. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

3135E2F6-F27B-4586-A279-9E006044FDCF.jpeg I rattle can all mine. Don’t do many plastic decoys, but with proper prep work the Rust-Oleum for plastic seems to adhere the best.

4. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I use all oil based enamels from rustoleum, part of it thinned to go through an airbrush. I've tried just about everything and have settled on oil based enamels, it will take you as far as your ability will go. This pair is all rustoleum.

89461907_1473986052774420_6123759405654605824_n.jpg

sdkidaho, Rubberhead, Manoduk and 7 others like this.
  5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Ronan's Superfine Japan Colors. Oil based, airbrush or straight brush works great, wide variety of colors, dries dead flat. Downside is it's expensive. Upside is it's extremely durable.

FinishedInside1.jpg

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

what constitutes proper prep work

JonVeeDub likes this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

First, get all the loose paint off. Wire brush, or maybe just a green 3M pad if they are in good shape.
    Next, get all the oil off. Including your hands (wear gloves) Simple Green, or something like that, works well.
    Then (in my case) a spray coat of primer. I used Kilz. Let that dry for a week.

I don't have those decoys I pictured, but they are still in use. Some minor scratches, but they still look pretty good.

8. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

Those specks look damn good Rick

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Pay attention to the second sentence. If the original paint is really stuck to the decoy, don't remove it.

goosenazi likes this.
  10. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Those look great.

I think I am going the opposite direction. Anything that's really beat up is becoming a black duck.