Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Decoy paint

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by TheDuckSlayer, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Been true in the several states I've hunted.

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad Senior Refuge Member

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Why? Are southern ducks are smarter than ducks that get hammered for 107 days in the Pacific flyway?

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Here (N AL), they raft with other gads, and coots. Pretty rare to pull a gad in for much more than one look. Easiest way to hunt them is on the river, patterning and targeting the rafts. 4 hours north of me, they will fall in a swamp or river bottom to a mallard deke in a heartbeat. They do act “different” the further down they get. He’s still 6 hours souther. I’ve seen them down there doing the same thing in the bay.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Unless we get storms the gads here totally avoid decoys and maybe land 100-150 yards away. If you call at them they flare like they just got shot at. Are they harder than that down south? Didn't think so.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Nothing you just said has been brought up anywhere here. Lemme break it down...

One guy said gads decoy to anything. One guy said it’s regional. One guy said they do in several places. You asked if they were smarter in the south. I said, they act differently in different places. Now, you’re saying someone said they are harder down south, which was never said, just that they act differently. I truthfully didn’t know I was supposed to be thinking so. Since it never came up, it never crossed my mind.

The whole start of it was if gads came to non-gad dekes, not a dick-measuring contest of where they are smarter or harder to kill. That’s all you.

JonVeeDub, GUNNERX2 and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Gadwalls are the biggest pain in the *** in the duck world. If they were going extinct and it took a dollar to save them, I'd avoid the phone call.

JRS, Grif, H20DAD and 1 other person like this.
  8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I wasn’t talking to you. Sit down boy

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^^ this

bill cooksey likes this.
  10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

And then you kill one and it’s an ounce bigger than a bwt. I’ve killed more gadwall that swam into the decoys at noon than have ever decoyed. I’m not sure if I have ever killed a truly decoying gadwall. I’ve killed them with decoys out but I think they were coming into the hole if it was on fire. Bill summed it up better than I could.