Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Decoy paint

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by TheDuckSlayer, Jul 5, 2020.

1. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

I hate having to derail a thread and explain what should be the obvious to a seasoned duck hunter but it’s the only way you’ll learn.

Although unproven, it’s generally accepted ducks and geese get smarter as they move down the flyway (I’ll point you in the direction of effectiveness of mojos in Canada vs a state like LA or AL), some of that is from experience and maybe a bigger factor is pressure. A47E614C-116D-48E0-AD1F-CC153FB8348B.jpeg
    This is the most recent duck hunter numbers chart I could find, from 2016. In a state like California with 39.5 million people, and a 107 day season you only have 47,100 active duck hunters. In a state like LA with 4.5 million people (and wayyy less acreage), we have 50,000 active duck hunters in a 60 day season. By all accounts you have more birds than we do every yr which also means less pressure on the birds that are there. Now factor in the pressure from the state to our north and even the village idiot could tell you that you have less pressure which in turn usually means dumber ducks and geese.

To say you’ve been “hammering on em for 107 day season” is quite the stretch. And just for anecdotal evidence: I’ve hunted off of rafts of 100’s of ducks, and I’ve had much more success doing that than I have hunting 200yds from three different parties Bc that’s the least pressured area in the state.

I won’t even waste anyone’s time when comparing specks either.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  2. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

The Venn Diagram of people who say

1)"We had a real cold winter on my 10 acre homestead, global warming is a hoax"
    2) Gadwall in my half acre honey hole decoy well/don't decoy/respond to calls/don't respond to calls. If you experience differing results, you are a liar or retarded

is a circle.

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Gadwalls hunt flooded corn

4. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

In our water blind off the Chesapeake last year we had some very good gadwall days. In some cases, they saved the day. They decoyed well and we had the usual mixed bag of mallards, blacks, bluebill, goose decoys. Since I carve, I carved a pair of gadwalls this year and will throw them out just because.

I'd say you could do a reasonably good job on the gadwalls by just doing the broad grayish, black and white colors and not get into too much detail. Use mallard hens and change the head color to more grayish.
    [​IMG]

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

“We didn’t kill any gadwalls last season.”
    “”You only hunted geese in farm fields””
    “So what? We didnt kill any gadwalls.”

6. cl bob

cl bob New Member

UV paint works best. Nothing shiny. If they were cheap decoys toss em or paint the nose white and use them as coot decoys. Indians used mud and sticks on shores for decoys..

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

To each his own, but I want my duck decoys to shine like new money.

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Yea I know. I’m guessing there wasn’t as much hunting pressure when the Indians were using mud and sticks, though.

This is more something more for me to do since I’m bored.

JonVeeDub likes this.
  9. Arkansas Fowler

Arkansas Fowler Senior Refuge Member

How long did it take you to paint all of them ?

10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

20150812_193205.jpg
    There you go. Restle coated and repainted Herters 72s.

JRS and TheDuckSlayer like this.