Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Decoy paint

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by TheDuckSlayer, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

2. wtrfwlr43

wtrfwlr43 Elite Refuge Member

I went about it in pieces. Heads, bills, chest, backs, butt black, white. Matte covering. Those 4 dozen or so drakes 5-6 days by myself. Prep was another 1 day. Washed them using Dawn dish washing liquid using a scrub brush. Rinsed them real well. Let them dry over night and started painting.

3. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

You could have stopped right there. How much smarter did your birds get? Are any of them driving for Amazon? Some of your birds are smarter, agreed. But you got way more birds than Western Washington and you have agriculture. I don’t care if some of you’re birds teach at the university you still have a large number of dumb ones. Very few books written about the glory days of Western Washington hunting. We are not a destination spot. You have a much greater chance of finding seven dumb birds than we do.

4. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

By unproven, I mean you won’t find a waterfowl biologist suggesting that birds get smarter as they move down the Flyway, but if you ask a hunter, the majority will say yes they do. If they don’t, then why are mojos so effective on birds in Canada and not so much in the south? Juveniles? Ok, so you’re killing more juveniles than we are. Which even further proves my point.

TheDuckSlayer and Quarne like this.
  5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

those look really good

creedsduckman likes this.
  6. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I think that when we talk in generalities we should realize that we only know our little niche of duck hunting. I am not saying ducks do not get smarter the more they are hunted. I am saying that if you have more ducks you have more total dumber ducks. In western Wa we have a lot of pressure and fewer ducks. From our view Billy Bob is accurate. Some years we get little migration due to weather and we do hunt the same ducks all season. Your ducks get smart in Canada. Our ducks get smart on the same lakes and salt water. But you have more ducks.

mpkowal likes this.
  7. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

How come we have killed all manner of ducks in the flyway only using mallard decoys? Again......what is happening?

WHUP ! Hen and wtrfwlr43 like this.
  8. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

They are ducks. Decoys or no decoys where they really want to be means harvest. The X trumps the decoy. You can pull them with more and better decoys but if you own the x it is way easier. And sometimes you screw it up massively and still get ducks. Which is why it is hunting not harvesting. Think Reno the difference odds wise between blackjack and roulette. For all we know we don’t know much and that is why we do it.

9. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

69BD812D-24F7-4D1C-9C22-4F31E878DFDB.jpeg D3DD92E7-A9EB-42EE-B24E-238178585C30.jpeg B249AB6E-89C7-4AEC-85CB-94D312E9BDC3.jpeg 9EE46A6A-FB53-4E7B-99AC-7883C9EA4AF7.jpeg E1C6EAE0-D898-422F-ABDB-A98D554A830B.jpeg Here’s some plastic decoy repaints I’ve done. Good prep work is key. Remove any flaking paint with a power washer or wire brush. Clean the decoys to remove oil and dirt - I use a mixture of ammonia and dawn. Paint with spray paint designed to adhere to plastic, rustoleum and krylon offer this, otherwise use oil based enamels. Finally, clear coat with matte spray paint. I like to flock the black areas on my decoys. I doubt it’s necessary, but it looks nice.

I do all my painting with a harbor freight paint gun and artist brushes.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

nice