Decoy Forum Sponsors

Decoy Weight Question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Hardcore Waterfowler, May 10, 2021.

1. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I did a quick search for this (with no luck) so if it has already been covered I apologize.

Throughout the hunting season I am hunting water depths from a foot to 20 feet deep. I have been using the "H" style weights that tumble to the correct depth. For the most part these anchors work great. But they are getting harder to find and if I forget to lock the line in shorter depths it is a race to pull them up before they unwind.

My question is what other alternative options are there that all for shallow water and deep water with the same decoy/anchor setup?

2. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

My only suggestion is to keel hitch the line if you have keels that you can wind the line on. I use mostly hand poured muffin tin anchors with galvanized wire loops.

Tuleman and Billy Bob like this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

This is the best way to do it. Slower to deploy but none of that unwinding all the way BS like the H weights and they are faster to pick up than the H weights.

4. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

I been using the H weights from Do It molds for over 20 years. I used to hunt a lake that would be 15-16 foot deep and then hunt wetlands that were 18" deep. I set the depth on the anchors but I never throw decoys and let the anchors unwind. I wrap line on the keels and a wrap or 2 around the decoy head. I always unwrap then line from the keel and toss or set the anchor and decoy. In deep water and current I want more line out than the water depth. If I let the line unwind off the anchor I don't get that extra length of line to unwrap and the anchors don't hold as well in waves or current. I use slotted decoy bags to avoid tangles.

BigMike and Tuleman like this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

noweil is spot on with his suggestion.

6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You can make your own mold.
    I saw somewhere where a clever woodworker had cut wood for a j-weight mold.

I'd trace one onto a piece of 2x10 or whatever size works then try to use a router to cut a mold.
    Is it possible to cnc a part then cut a mold?
    Seems like a great project for some school kid.
    Find that kid.

I've molded lead and it shrinks quite a bit when it cools and falls out of molds that are done right.

salthunter and Fowler267 like this.
  7. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Aunt Betty, a few years back I had a guy at work machine a mold out of a block of aluminum. When I got it back the mold, if used, would've been big enough for a boat anchor. LOL... We have since made one out of wood that works fairly well, we just have a hard time finding lead. All the tire places want to charge an arm and a leg for a small amount. Perhaps that is still my best option. This scenario is what is driving my question. I was hoping for one of those obvious why hadn't I thought of that solution before. :doh

I really like the H style weights because they don't tangle and they drop to the right depth whether its a couple inches or several feet.

Thanks for the responses.

8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have same problem and different solution but your idea is equally valid and works for you.
    Glad I could help. l, like others, can have what I'm searching for right in front of me and not see it. It takes a blue-eyed woman to spot the obvious...lol

Hardcore Waterfowler likes this.
  9. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Like Noweil said. If you don't have extra line out and you're in rough water it don't matter how heavy the weights are. The waves will walk your decoys away.

10. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Are you in moving water? I have a set of decoys I use in rivers and tidal areas with 25' of line and 12 ounce mushroom weights.

When the water's static, I use long-lines with a few fill-in-the-gap singles with the dog-ear weights.

I really hate messing with the dog-ear weights - which is what I think you're calling the "H" weights.

Billy Bob likes this.