Deer Rifle Dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by 3-1/2in.steel, Jan 2, 2004.

1. 3-1/2in.steel

3-1/2in.steel Elite Refuge Member

I am seriously looking at a new deer rifle for the new year and I am a bit torn between a few calibers. I have narowed my choices down to the following three....

.270 WSM
    7mm Rem Mag
    30-06

Each has it's pro's and con's. I was just courious if anyone here has had a lot of expierence with the .270 WSM because it is a realatively new round. Any input would be appreciated.

I have all of the ballistics for all three I am looking for pratical and first hand use / operation opinions. My current deer gun is a .35 Rm Marlin 336 ... great for up close and personal shots .... not so hot when Iwant to reach out and touch one...

2. 870Wing

870Wing Senior Refuge Member

The 30-06 is the bench mark by which all other calibers are compared. That in it's self speaks volumes. You'll get some people writting about advantages of bullet drop or retained energy at 500 yards, but in the real world most shots aren't taken at those distances. Of the dozen or so deer I've shot, I've only shot one that was past 100 yards. It was a whooping 125 yards (measured). :rolleyes: The 30-06 also has the advantage in choice of guns. You'll be hard pressed to find a 7mm mag or 270 wsm that will weight less than a 30-06. After a hard days trekking through the mountains in Penn State you might appreciate that.

Take care and enjoy your shopping ;)

870Wing

3. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

The 7mm. does everthing an .06 can do.... only better. Shoots flatter, & hits harder. Speed kills!

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

'Speed' doesn't kill...hitting the target and being able to penetrate the vitals 'kills'....either of the three will do that on deer-elk sized game, and the larger, heavier bullets readily available in '06 would make it a better choice, IMHO. If you know that you aren't gonna be trying 400-500 yard shots, anyway (because you are an ethical big game hunter to begin with), then what difference will 1=2 inches of drop and 300-400 fps in velocity matter, when you can put a pill into a big game animal that weighs 20-40 grains more? Heavier holds velocity longer and penetrates better, all else being equal...just look at all the Steel vs. HS vs. TM, etc. threads on here. You will ALWAYS find the critter that's been through and through'd in the vitals, even if it doesn't fall over right there. ;) Whatever cranks your tractor, but all three are fine. Since you've thrown the '06 into a 'paper' race with the magnums, why not look at the 300WSM...it outdoes both the others ....even on paper.;)

5. MossBoss

MossBoss Senior Refuge Member

If it is just for deer, I would get the 270 short mag.

130 grain 270 bullet is big enough for any deer walking.

Just as flat as the 7mm Mag with less recoil.

Much flatter than the 30-06 with smiliar to slightly less recoil depending on bullet weight in each gun.

PS, I own a 06.

6. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

I love these threads! I'm an admitted ballistic nut, constantly tweeking my rifle's. Never satisfied until I can squeeze varmint type accuracy out of a big game cartridge. I also have what some might say is a borderline perversion with the 7mm cartridge.
    In North America, the 7mm.can be used on any species found. It might not be the very best choice for use against a large coastal brown bear, but given the right choice in bullet (195 gr.), it will work if you do your part as a marksman. For deer, elk, moose,or nearly anything else, worldwide, it is one of the best choices available to the shooter. It does one thing well....cleanly take big or small game, at short or long distances.

ALMODUX, you are most certainly right -"hitting the target and being able to penetrate the vitals 'kills'... & any of the calibers that 3-1/2in.steel listed will take big game. The .06 has more choices of bullets, but the 7 does more with less. My reference to "Speed Kills" was just that a reference to the velocity of the cartridge. One question though- is it unethical to shoot at big game at 400-500 yards? IMHO, no. Now I'm talking about game that is unaware of your presence & is standing still offering a broadside shot, not one blasting across a field. From a SOLID rest, alot of practice, being 100% sure of the yardage, knowing your cartridges ballistics, these shots can be taken & made with consistancy. The 7mm is designed for shots like this, long, open field hunting.

7. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

30.06 has bullets from 50 grain to 220 grain. The shooting flatter theory is bull. Look at a ballistics book. You are talking maybe an inch difference at 300 yards.

Take a Federal Premium 180gr. Nosler Partition High Energy bullet and it will have more knockdown power than a 7mm. at 200 yards. If you dont beleive that find a Federal catalog like the one sitting in front of me and look it up.

The 7mm is a magnun gun. The 30.06 is not. However the new loads for the 30.06 are magnum loads that cannot be shot through an automatic. Therefore you now have a 30.06 magnum. The 30.06 with todays shells is not the 30.06 your dad or your grandpa shot.

The new .270WSM has great ballistics. All in all you cant go wrong with any of the guns you have chosen !!

8. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Buy one of each.

9. 3-1/2in.steel

3-1/2in.steel Elite Refuge Member

:l :l :l

yeah and end up divorced:nutz

10. ansas

ansas Elite Refuge Member

.30-06 ammunition is going to be available almost anywhere. The short magnum and probably the 7mm Mag will not be so readily available.

270 Win ammo (but not the WSM) is almost as available as .30-06, but not always and the further you get from Sportsman's Warehouse, the more problem that can be. A corner gas station in hunting country will have .30-06 if they stock ammo.

When choosing a cartridge to shoot, the twist rate and barrel length make a big difference as you get to the extremes. What that means in practical terms, is that the lightest and the heaviest bullets will not stabilize as well as those in the middle of the range for a given caliber.

That means the 50gr and 220gr 30 caliber bullets are not going to give you the accuracy and predictibility that the 150gr to 180gr weight range will give you, and you will have to be closer to your target to get a hit.:)