Definition of a sinkbox?

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Here are two Chesapeake Bay sink boxes before being outlawed. The hunters lay down in them flat and their whole body is under the surface of the water. Cast iron decoys weighted them down and they were put out every day and taken in after the hunt. The large wings dampened the waves. I'd say if you built a pumpkinseed layout boat and made any attempt to weigh it down so it sits lower in the water you probably will go to jail.
I daresay there aren't many LEO's today who know even the definition of a sinkbox, let alone would know one if they saw it.

Huck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
As a sculler I have wondered how the vague definition hasn’t been used to cite us. But here in California we are left alone on that accord.
I do worry if I go out of state and a warden who is not familiar with sculling might get all righteous and nail me.

reddogge

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Tuleman, maybe in your part of the world but around these parts (Chesapeake Bay-the epicenter of sink box market gunning) I guarantee you they will know what one it is.

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Tuleman, maybe in your part of the world but around these parts (Chesapeake Bay-the epicenter of sink box market gunning) I guarantee you they will know what one it is.
Maryland should make the glorious sink box the state’s official duck hunting machine!!!

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This year the Maryland Decoy Collecting club put one into the Susquehanna river surrounded by a large group of collectible antique Havre de Grace canvasbacks and a member lay in it and fired off black powder shells from an old Winchester 1897. Pretty neat.

I attended the Waterfowl Festival in Easton years ago and they did that. No one knew there was anything out there except decoys until the "hunter" raised up and shot. They also put on a punt gun demonstration. That was also impressive.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any metal, fiberglass, or cement blind dug into a flooded Rice field check.

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I built about a dozen sink blinds out of concrete to hunt Salt springs. You sat completely under the water level.

As long as your blind is touching the bottom when you hunt it is legal.

Keep in mind that a two man blind weighed 5000 lbs. We built a platform around them with flotation in them so we could tow them. They only sat about 6in out of the water.

I still have the mold for the concrete if you would like to make one of your own.

----------kevin----------
I did a huge amount of research before I built my sink blinds. The only way to be legal in California is for the blind to sit on the bottom. That is what we did. The lake we hunted was a shallow flat lake and we used to walk them up the little cuts in the coves and set them where we wanted. Box was 4 feet deep, 5 feet wide by 3.5 feet. Box weighed 5000 lbs without the platform. They were deadly to hunt out of.

Latest posts