California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Delta Tunnels

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by sacbob, Jul 3, 2018.

1. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Meet the new entity in charge of California’s water tunnels project: “California is about to embark on one of the biggest public works projects not just in its own state history, but in any state’s history. The $17 billion WaterFix tunnel project was approved by the state Department of Water Resources in June 2017 after a decade of study, and now moves into the nitty gritty of construction planning. And if that weren’t enough, it now appears construction will be led by an entity entirely new to such a massive water project. The local water agencies that stand to benefit from the tunnels have formed a joint powers authority (JPA) to oversee construction, rather than let the Department of Water Resources handle that, as it has historically. … ” Read more from Water Deeply here: Meet the new entity in charge of California’s water tunnels project

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If anyone thinks that will lead to more transparency and accountability I have a high speed train to a LA to sell you.

3. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Which will collapse first, the tunnels or the CA economy?

4. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Turkey Hunters Forum Moderator

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    RIP San Francisco run salmon :(

5. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

Keep changing the brand or the name or the packaging until you find one that sells I guess.

6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Gaaaaaayyyy

7. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Can't wait to see the new Franks peninsula after they fill in the tract........that will be really good for the health of the delta.:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh

8. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

I thought the feds refused to sign off on the "water fix".

Was there some more back door dealing down in Monterey?

9. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

These clowns messing with the delta system thru tunnels and damming off franks track. The are going to try and raise the level in the dammed off area by 1 to 3 ft above sea level. With 20 million cubic yards of material... In doing so they are trying to change the salinity level for.. ya you guessed it.. the delta smelt !! I have talked with the guy running the program on the water a couple times.. and I still shaking my head.. If you ask me they are trying to lower the salinity to the Clifton court forebay which is some of the water that goes south for the almond trees... salt is not good for trees..
    And in doing this will only push more salinity farther down into the SJ river system... Yep... whales in downtown Stockton soon!

We are going to be seeing some major changes in something that is very special.. RIP delta system, you were some special times for sure !!
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=159294&inline

before

after

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Sprig Hunter and callinfowl like this.
  10. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

Some tidbits from the article:

"They believe they’ll be able to save time and money by managing construction themselves through the JPA, which they assert provides a more flexible approach to designing, contracting, constructing and financing the project. The agencies feel that by assembling a specialized team that functions outside the bureaucracy of state government, they will be able to make quicker decisions, hire contractors faster and resolve problems easier. "

"What concerns do critics have about this JPA?
    There are quite a few. One is that the JPA’s control over construction will bleed over into operation of the tunnels once complete. This “fox in the henhouse” situation could mean the tunnels are operated to maximize water delivery, not to minimize environmental impact. This is worrisome, because many operational details of the tunnels are still unresolved."

My take.... they are creating an agency outside the goverment to allow them to bypass many of the government restrictions. The DWR has operated outside regulations many times and gotten away with nothing more than a hand slap. Creating a new pseudo government organization allows the JPA to play fast and loose and it provides the DWR with plausible deniability.

The goal is already to maximize water delivery. If the goal was to minimize environmental impact no water would be shipped south during normal or below normal flow years.

The delta is already suffering from greatly reduced fresh water flows. Diverting water before the delta can't help in any way shape or form.

callinfowl likes this.