Demise of the Atlantic Flyway Mallard

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Flyway Forum' started by meb, Jul 17, 2020.

1. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

Got to be related to the legalization of electronic decoys in PA! LOL!!!

I’m concerned I’m going to have an epileptic seizure for all the flashing mallards on opening day when all that’s around where I hunt is woodrows.

I guess the woodie numbers will be plummeting soon?

PaCowboy likes this.
  2. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

I watched a nonresident a few years ago setup with the flashers. He had 6 going at one time. I toLd him it was illegal but he didn’t care. He sat there all morning and the only ducks he got to come in were divers.

As for the woodies the population is my area is maybe at the most 25% of what they were 10 years ago. They take a beating with the only game in town. With the change in the goose season in the NW zone We have 2 weeks of duck season before goose starts so there will be more pressure on the woodies.

3. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Woodies are definitely taking a hit up in northwest pa for sure teal numbers are down to from what I've been seeing the past few years... and I wish they never legalized spinning wing decoys for waterfowl... I dont use em. But I know atleast from what I seen woodies flare from them more atleast in my experience.... I've watched em flar from guys in the distance and they still send the 80 yard haul Mary's their way