Did anybody attend the DNR public discussion meeting?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Did anybody on here attend? I’m under the weather so I couldn’t attend as intended. Just curious as to if anything was discussed other than dates and what the general feeling was from the public on the date layouts for next season.

2. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

The meeting was well attended, short on time now fill you in later if others don't comment until then .....................

Trevor Shannahan likes this.
  3. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

I didn’t make it but I am interested in what was discussed as well.

4. Ungavawatcher

Ungavawatcher Senior Refuge Member

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

That is a fantastic presentation I suggest that everyone here open it and really spend time looking through it.

6. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

DNR. Excellent presentation. This should go a long way to explain the issues.thank you..

7. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

I looked over entire presentation. Still say that recommended AP packages for PA and NY need to coincide with Md/De. Also, I see AP band recoveries in September are recorded in NY where they have liberal “resident” limits. No reason for NY resident season to run past the 15th. If they want the RP birds controlled better they need to start the season in August.

Little Ruddy likes this.
  8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. I have yet to hear someone state if a good portion of the AP birds were not here on the shore where they were. Were they stacked up in NY and PA. I think the AP numbers are lower than folks think and the other push of birds we get when the water is iced over and significant snow up north is from a push of RP birds. I also believe the AP birds are getting hammered up north during the late RP season and overall more folks are putting large dent in the RP population along with the government euthanizing them which results in less RP geese coming down when there are heavy winters with snow up north.

even with moderate birds down the warm weather doesn't help when the birds primarily want to loaf on the water and not feed heavily.

as much as I would like to see an increase in banding to better track bird harvest I don't trust folks reporting them at time knowing they may show a significant harvest of AP geese during the RP season. with the funds collected on stamps it would be good to see some of those fancy tracking gizmos attached to geese and see where they actually go.

9. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

(Wrong forum, I realize)Montauker, what I take from that presentation is that we ARE definitely getting the goose shaft in Virginia! I mean, just look at the percentages of migratory versus resident goose taken charts. Can you post the presentation on the Virginia Forum?

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Kahuna- done

I'm not sure that the slides indicate that Virginia is getting a shaft. There is a key piece of missing data and that is band returns for AP geese in VA (similar to the slides included for NY, PA and MD). Just because we shoot 80% RP birds doesn't mean that we don encounter a good portion of AP birds.