Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Diesel trucks

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by SEKhunter, Feb 15, 2021.

1. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

My second winter with my Powerstroke and she gelled up bad this morning. Temp was -5 -25 windchill. I drove nearly 40 miles before the felling occurred.
    The fuel station treats and uses the same fuel, going to stop by in the morning and see what’s up. Trucks still on the side of the road, we changed filters but had to come to town and get some 911, then had almost white out conditions most of the day, hopefully tomorrow I can get it home.
    So who’s gelled up and how did you get her going?

2. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

Well, that sucks. I’m not gelled up; filled up on Fri and poured 16oz of PowerSource anti gel in the tank. Truck has started every morning, but tonight will be the 1st night we go minus zero.

PowerSource 911 is supposed to be the real deal. Good luck!

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

If it stopped you of course will need to pull filters and add the 911. Make sure it's not water in the seperator as well.

I have had them run like crap, but never stop, assuming they started. Longer fuel lines seem to be the problem. Common rail on modern diesels don't seem as bad, but the injector pump with 2'+ of fuel line sure don't like the cold. I generally run some anti-gel thru the winter, not in the trucks, but all the equipment. If it's going to be a stint of cold I'll put it in the trucks a few days before.

I'm no real expert on the cold weather diesel stuff, we normally only see negatives a few times a year if that.

4. dirtyj

dirtyj Senior Refuge Member

I use this regularly when the temp remains below 25. Also plug truck in at night (tough to do on roadside) heat will radiate to the fuel lines a bit. I’ve had my old powerstroke quit @28deg which was obviously due to water. upload_2021-2-16_7-7-50.jpeg

DuCrazy, Vammy and Aunt Betty like this.
  5. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I used to have a 7.3. Ive had it sit in -25 air temperatures overnight unplugged and it always fired right up. I always used antigel in the winter. Usually the power service stuff as that is what every truck stop had. Never trust the fuel at the pump to be sufficient.

Ruger5555 likes this.
  6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'd pour in what it says and wait.
    It will take time for chemistry to happen but eventually it works thru the system. By Spring it will be fine. :)

Jamco6000 and creedsduckman like this.
  7. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

No help here but I'm reminded of a small garage in Seattle that would fit diesel trucks for use in extreme cold weather. They would take the fuel tank off, weld a pipe thru it like a donut and route the exhaust pipe thru that donut hole.

I've heard that at a coal mine in Wyoming, they never turn off the diesels during the winter.

I do know that the locomotive on our tracks runs 24/7 for weeks at a time during really cold spells.

I put plywood, tarps and a torpedo heater under our diesel trucks when I need to start them during zero degree weather. And plug them in, of course.

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  8. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Woke up to -15 this morning, no 911 but found some crc emergency that is like 911. Supposed to get up to 14 today so will see if I can get it home

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I gave a truck driver a ride late one night. I was coming home from South of province, and found an 18 wheeler dead on side of road. Driver had come all the way up from southern USA, and temp change was like 100 degrees. He didn't know about winter diesel. Lesson learned.

10. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

We always treated the whole fleet about Thanksgiving and again after new years. Ive never had fuel gel, but have thawed several that had ice in them. Take a weed burner along with you.

Sam Ortmann and Vammy like this.