Difference in steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

How much difference is there between premium steel shot and bargain basement?
    It’s all plated today, right?
    Why is some 2 times as expensive??

2. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Definitely is not all plated. Now whether that plating does anything or not is a question. There are different ways of finishing steel shot, or if you're Federal you just skip a finishing step leaving Saturn shaped unfinished shot, claim it causes "devastating wound channels" and idiots will gladly pay double.

Or if you're Kent you can make a fancy new cardboard box and put 2.0 on it, and that makes it worth about $5 more.

As far as effectiveness on birds, whatever your gun shoots best will work best. The price and "premiumness" means nothing, assuming it's all steel of course. That's why I buy the cheapest steel I can. Because it's all the same! The only reason to spend up would be to shoot a heavier material.

3. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

I thought it was all plated to prevent rusting?

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I'm sorta surprised steel shot is not waxed covered as a cheap way to prevent rust?

That would be easy to do.

The only issue may be that the shot would stick in clumps prior to loading?

5. Fogie

Fogie Senior Refuge Member

Luckily Fiocche is one of the cheapest and really good imo, won't shoot Xpert or cheapie Rem/Fed. All three fizzle in true cold or did at least, been a long time since shooting those.
    Would only shoot good Win and Rem in the early days of steel because did a lot of swimming then, only Kent, Fiocche or my old stock Drylocks now. Got paid some cases of Unique reloads that supposedly are the poop I'm told, will see...
    Wouldn't spend the $$$ on premium steel anymore cause no need, plus bought a forever supply of Kent and Fiocche five or so ago.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There's steel shot sold in its rough form , this shot starts to rust faster than premium shot , which is finished smooth and polished !
    There is a Big difference in its ability to withstand air-drag so it flies straighter and stays in the pattern longer . Being wise to companies who sale
    shot sizes that are , a true size is another reason to purchase premium shot . It ALL depends on what your needs are , a load of rocks with kill at
    short range , just as well ? The quality of Steel is also rated in its DPH so with shot being sold like Industrial Cast with a 150 DPH or higher ...OR ,
    Premium Steel shot that's been annealed to a softness of 75 to 90 DPH which is best for not scoring your barrel ! FWIW

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

One is U.S. steel & the other is crap made in China! :p :l

8. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

We poured some steel shot, salvaged from an unfired BlackCloud 10gauge round, into an empty jerky or sausage ziplock last winter after the round didn’t fire 3 times. The 2’s were coated in the grease/fat residue and sort of clumped together. I reloaded those a while back as test steel for some duplex I worked up.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I dont know. Some days I could be shooting armor piercing BB,s , with gold plating out of a $100,000 Purdy and still shoot so sucky that I want to throw my shotgun out of the blind.:doh

Bclick, Out of focus and Fowler267 like this.
  10. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

It's not all plated, and a lot of it is marketing. Early Xperts were junk. The shot was a lot more irregular than what it is now, and they actually used a cardboard seal. But they were cheap and sold, forcing the hand of the other 2 of the "big three". Remington came out with sportsmans to compete.. these were the same shell as Nitro's, same hull, same wad, just the shot wasn't plated and the powder may have been different as they got a reputation as being "dirty". I don't recall if they were sealed or not.. but for a while they were the best bang for your buck IMO.
    Winchester "Supremes" were a "high dollar" steel round. They were a Drylok round with a black hull and more velocity. That was it.

Now there is Kent, Environmetal, Rio, Fiocchi, B&P, etc, etc. Different wads, shapes of shot, you name it. Regular steel shot still varies in quality and can between LOT#'s from the same line. Only real way to determine what you actually have now is to cut one open and see.

OneShotBandit and Dr Swane like this.