Difference in steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

I remember buying a box of Winchester #6 steel back in the eighties because that was all we had on the store shelves. I believe retailers had little knowledge on the new steel ammo and just stocked with what they knew duck hunters would go for ( thinking #6 is #6 regardless of what it’s made out of). Those early #6 steel loads were straight garbage, had to cut one open just to make sure there was something inside besides powder.

JP and bill cooksey like this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I take it that those were field hunts, not marsh hunts?

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

While he may have been hunting dry ground (I have up there), odds are he was hunting along the hot water creek in the area. I grew up hunting the area. We would jump the creek, Dad and I. He would drop me off, and I would drop down to the creek. He would drive a mile down the road, park, and drop in himself. I would walk till I saw the truck, go up, and hop scotch past him to another spot. I remember many limits of green heads coming home with us. It was such a long drive, over a fairly lousy dirt road for about 60 miles, we would take the truck/camper, and tow the jeep behind us to get around once we got there.

There really isn't much farming (or ranching) up there, but there were some grass fields the geese sometimes used.

JP and Fogie like this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Part of the difference may be that I started with IC and even tried cylinder. Eventually settled on modified and 2's for ducks and IC and BB's for geese. I haven't shot anything larger than 2's for anything for over a decade now. Wait, are arrows considered bigger than a load of 2's? :l

Lead wasn't great, it crippled just as many birds or more. Steel is what it is. Some of us pine for something better others just make the best of it and get to killing birds.

Fogie likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Lead is definitely ballistically superior to steel. The only reason there's truth in what you say is human nature causing us to consistently ask something to do a bit more than we should. When we ask a good load (lead or steel) to kill a little bit farther than we should, we get crippled ducks. Lead will kill better and farther, but the shooter must still know the limitations, and most don't.

Steel is just fine when one stays within its limitations. Lead is fine when one stays within its limitations. The limitations though are different.

JFG, JP, deepwater and 3 others like this.
  6. Fogie

Fogie Senior Refuge Member

Moorman Spring always had open water. The creek that came down from the warden's place would stay open in places too, would walk it down to the store.
    Could walk the ice into the sloughs that ran from Res to Res and find some that would melt faster than the rest, too.
    ..the place would be pretty locked up by mid November back then, but some open where the water sped up heading for the weirs would remain for a bit. Birds standing in line to use it and circle right back at shooting. Was vigorous hunting, that ice. I don't do it much anymore.

7. Fogie

I went from that full back to modified and like you, settled on #2 for ducks and BB for geese.
    After BB split the muzzle on the 870 Sportsman, just shot 2 at heads for a bit until better stuff came out.

8. Fogie

yep, of course lead killed them deader and cheaper at steel ranges.
    Deke hunters on here have a hard time understanding a jump/pass shooter's craving for effective range, sometimes.

9. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

Or dispute it when something that works is found.

Speed kills with steel. The proof is in the field. There was lots of bandwidth wasted over that one before. The worst offenders were guys who didn't reload and never hunted with it.
    Now all the factory ammo is fast. Cheap, premium, stuff that doesn't need to be.. it all moves pretty quick.

My dad had a newfie buddy who had a lifetime of shooting lead and summed steel up in 4 words.. "You lose ten yards". It was pretty accurate, in most cases. Ten yards can be nothing, or a lot depending on how you shoot. Guys like to twist that into how you choose to shoot, either not realizing or ignoring that conditions just ain't the same across the board.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Fogie and JP like this.
  10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

And, tungsten-based pellets changed all that. If we had it back in the 60’s there may be no seasons today as we’d have killed out all of the little buggers.

dog duck gun likes this.