Digging Dog

HNTFSH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Only diggers I've owned over the last 35 years have been dogs (Labs and Shepherds) trying to get cool spots. They stay out back all day so was pretty much unavoidable but nevertheless irritating. I'd do the same if them. They do the same if wild.

Close Shot

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I thought all chessies were diggers that couldn’t be taught and always considered biting their owners as an option. What am I missing?
I read this once on a dog breed site: ‘You can order a Labrador retriever and ask a Golden Retriever, but you must negotiate with a Chesapeake Bay Retriever’.

So you might be right....

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I read this once on a dog breed site: ‘You can order a Labrador retriever and ask a Golden Retriever, but you must negotiate with a Chesapeake Bay Retriever’.

So you might be right....
I’ve known several owners and former owners and a few dogs in my day. I’m of the opinion pork chop is blinded by love.

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So a couple of years ago we had a cat die and my wife made me bury it in the backyard. Fast forward about 10 months or so and Nazi is over having a beer and I'm straightening up something in the garage. I can hear him start yelling that he needs my help. I run out and my youngest GWP has decided he wanted to see the cat again. Little bugger wouldn't leave that dang site alone so I stuck a chunk of firewood over the cat and then had to stick a flat chunk of stone over it as well. Otherwise he's a pretty good dog in regards to digging holes.

PorkChop

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ve known several owners and former owners and a few dogs in my day. I’m of the opinion pork chop is blinded by love.
I guess you can have your opinion. A Chessie is definitely not a Lab and if I did not know a couple of guys that have had them all their life I might still be of the same opinion as you. Thankfully I met these guys and saw how their CBRs were not only around them but around my children And made my decision to get one. Definitely as mentioned earlier different training techniques.

I guess I’ll make this comparison. Not all men can handle redheads but some of us can and not all duck hunters can tackle a Chessie but some of us can. You just Gotta have the right tools for the training! Both scare a lot of men because they just don’t know what to do.

molliesmaster

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's ok PorkChop. It's better to leave the chesapeake rumors out there circulating. Maybe the breed will avoid the *******ization like other once fine hunting breeds.

Maybe bring the dog inside before he has time to dig. That's been the only way to keep my GSP and GWP from doing it. The "idle hands" saying might apply to yours too.

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Stake some chicken wire in it, dogs usually don’t like getting their claws in it.

wingmatt

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Stake some chicken wire in it, dogs usually don’t like getting their claws in it.
I do something similar. I had an old dilapidated crab trip. Rectangular cheap one. I cut it up into sections of about 1-1/2 ft by 1-1/2ft. I throw a piece down on any spot my dog tries to dig. Works great.

Latest posts