Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Dish? Cable? antennae?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jan 30, 2021.

1. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

No cable no satellite. The only internet we have is on our phones. Antenna all the way

Downwind and waterrat like this.
  2. Close Shot

Close Shot Senior Refuge Member

I dumped cable early last year and just go antennae and internet type stuff like Netflix, Disney etc. The only bad thing is I missed a lot of football due to no ESPN but the team I cared about I either went to the game or listened on the radio like old times. I had Hulu TV but they jumped the price twice so I dumped them too this summer. I don't miss it other than sports.

Downwind and SEKhunter like this.
  3. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

I'm going to Apple TV and Youtube TV. Switching from Direct TV.

4. jjgoose

jjgoose Elite Refuge Member

We "cut the cable" a long time ago because it cost so much. Now i pay way more than we used to. We got about every alacarte thing know to man. Internet service, netflix, hulu, amazon, toutube tv, blaze tv, disney plus, you name, i pay for it. Every one is a monthly fee. Good thing i cut the cord...:doh

riverrat47 and hobbydog like this.
  5. JohnDiver

JohnDiver Senior Refuge Member

Using an antenna here. I have a channel master ultratenna60, on a rotor, 15’ above ground level.

We live ~30 miles from the local transmitters in very mountainous terrain, and pick up about 40 channels. We can get 60 channels if we turn it to pick up channels from the other direction which is flatter terrain. These channels come from cities 100 miles away.

You won’t get any special channels like found on dish or cable. No outdoor type channels, though Saturday and Sunday afternoons we do have several hours of hunting/fishing shows available. It’s all we need for TV.

I’ve got under $150 in the whole setup and have been using it for close to 10 years.

Downwind, Mean Gene and SEKhunter like this.
  6. WindInHisHair

WindInHisHair Senior Refuge Member

Work pays for internet. Tubi, crackle, peacock are a few of the free services I use. There are plenty of free apps available on smart tvs (not all tvs offer all apps, be sure to check before purchasing a tv that it supports app(s) you want). People that pay for tv hunt flooded corn.

DuCrazy likes this.
  7. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Just activate Hulu live or a live subscription to whoever during football season. Then cancel it afterwards. That’s what I do.

Close Shot and DuCrazy like this.
  8. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

We went from DirecTV and a $40/mo internet bill to Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, and we get Prime with our AMZN account. Still not exactly cheap, but we're saving over $55/mo compared to our previous bill. I'll take it.

texduk3, DuCrazy and jjgoose like this.
  9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Got starlink yesterday. Simple set up. It self adjusts to satellites. Anywhere in the house I'm getting wifi 100 to 150 mbps download and 40 upload. I hooked up a direct ethernet last night and on a linux connection ran up 380 mbps . Wow what a difference. So far , unbelieveable speed. We'll see how it goes from here. So much better than our other alternatives. Heck , I might have to look at a Tesla...........

10. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Cost?