Diver Hunters Forum Sponsors

Diver lines vs Raft

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by calstefanko, Dec 26, 2018.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

The goal of a longline is not just to create a runway. Given most divers fly low to the water if you have several long lines with the decoys staggered, it will create the illusion of a large raft of birds. From afar, if done properly, it will look like a much larger flock than a raft will appear to be while at the same time using less decoys.

Matt Barnard likes this.
  2. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

Right, If you stagger your long lines a bit, the effect from "on the deck" gives the impression of a lt more decoys. We normally set 4 doz decoys out,one doz to a line. We had a group of hunters approach us after a hunt asking how we carried all those "hundreds" of decoys in the boat. We told them we only used 48 decoys,which was less than they used. They didnt believe us until we showed them what we had done. We killed the birds, they didnt get a shot.

JohnBZ and Billy Bob like this.
  3. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I made a raft of decoys with a net and 87 decoys. Looks good in the water, but it's too much of a PIA to handle and transport. I almost need a second boat just for the raft of ducks.

4. D.Geiman

D.Geiman Refuge Member

We have found with rafts we have about 18 to 24 decoys per raft. This allows us to roll the raft up and not take up as much space. Again another tool in the box. Some days we just run the long lines.

5. LimitsBro

LimitsBro New Member

100 decoys is a lot.
    I get what you are saying but you need to get past what "YOU like" or "don't like."
    The main point is you can save yourself A LOT of time/hassle by using long lines and they work . . . . Even on geese.

6. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

100 really isn't that big of a rig. Not many open water blinds I'd hunt with less than that.

The only thing that matters more than what I like is what the ducks like, and if they like then I'm gonna like it so problem solved. I'd rather take the time and put out a rig that looks good to me than put out something I don't like just to save time. I know they work but I don't care for the look of long lines, personal preference.

7. LimitsBro

LimitsBro New Member

Got it.
    Whatever makes you happy bro.