Divers keep or sell.

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by 1duckmaster, Jul 24, 2021.

1. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

I'm always looking to better use my space and have been thinking of ditching some diver decoys. I've got just over 100 set for long lines and another 100 or so individually rigged. Most haven't seen the water in many years. As a kid we had lots of divers using some of the local lakes and puckaway was especially good. A few divers are still to be had, but not like in days past. I like to have the option to be rigged for multiple species, but we primarily chase puddle ducks anyways. Part of me says sell the other part says hold onto them, can't replace them for the money and maybe one day the divers will return??

2. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Just spent 10 hours straight re-rigging mallards, gadwall, wigeon, pintail and geese. Got another 10 hours to go. Shelves are full of G&H divers but no need to re-rig. They haven't touched water in a dozen years. Hell I rarely even shoot grease anymore and I haven't specifically targeted them forever. Yet for some reason I refuse to sell them, the memories of just being happy to shoot a duck- any duck when I was a kid is more important than money. I enjoy seeing them in their neat rows on the shelf and remembering the piles of empties at my feet and hopefully a duck or two at best taking a ride home. If I do decide to get rid of them it will be free to a kid who has the fever and reminds me of myself 30 years ago.

3. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Elite Refuge Member

4. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

If you sell them the divers will definitely show up. I rarely set up for divers but love a good can or redhead shoot. Problem with every can hunt I’ve ever been on is you have your two cans in about 10 minutes.

Bclick likes this.
  5. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

If you are not using them, sell them. Less is more. Let someone else enjoy them.

Personally I have 9 dozen Herters diver decoys of various species. Plus another dozen and a half of plastic divers. Of those decoys, I use them every year but I never use more than three dozen at a time.

At one point I had 25 dozen diver decoys Plus ten dozen mallards but got rid of the ones I didn’t use and or were worth some money. I don’t miss them. BTW, I’m down to only three dozen mallard/black duck decoys and I rarely use more than a dozen at a time.

I have had good luck selling them on here or on Facebook. Some I sold for more than what I paid.

7. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Oftener than not Facebook isn’t the place to score deals on waterfowl gear unless you can talk someone down. If they put the brand name in the listing you can just about count on it being cheaper to buy new.

Bclick likes this.
  8. Jagwall

Jagwall Senior Refuge Member

Sold every plastic diver that I had. I have 2 dozen herters 72 cans and bills and 6 dozen foamers that I hand painted. I will keep those. Hope my kids or grandkids will get to shoot some birds over them.

9. WindInHisHair

WindInHisHair Senior Refuge Member

designated diver hunt? It’s what responsible hunters that are bad at hunting do.

10. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

I went through a bunch today. Decided to keep about 70 magnums that are individually rigged and part with 47 standards. All are rigged most with heavy duty line. How much a piece?

20210801_180631.jpg