Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

DIY Kayak Blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Blax17, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Blax17

Blax17 Refuge Member

I know this has topic has had many different posts, but most of the relevant ones have had their pictures removed.
    I'm trying to get a blind going for my Frontier 12 with PVC, but my creativity is lacking. Here's what I have so far, minus the pieces in the middle.[​IMG]
    I feel like the front part is already too high for me to safely shoot over. I am also trying to figure out how to make it into two pieces, as I have to make it fit into my car.

I just can't figure out how to get the frame to provide cover, but also give me enough space to get in and out of it, plus haul my gun, bag, and 2doz decoys.
    I was thinking swinging doors on it to help give me some room.

I'm also looking for ideas on a seat. The current seat just isn't going to get low enough to let me hide well. I was thinking of some kind of layout style seat with a few 2x4s and ply wood.

I appreciate anyone's input, as I am fresh out of ideas.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I usually just pull the kayak into the reeds and pull the reeds down over the boat. I pull it high enough to stabilize it so that I can stand up and shoot out of it as well. Mine is a 14 foot, and I usually carry 12-24 in it. At the beginning of the video, this shows my kayak. Note the camo tarp that I can pull out and I'll drape it over the front up to where I sit if I am shooting out of the kayak itself , just to break up the outline of the kayak, or make a blind with reeds and natural material over it.

I have actually pulled the kayak out , dropped the seat forward and used it as a head rest, and just pushed my body forward under the front. It worked awesome in flooded wheat fields. You can see the setup I use , just using tarps and natural cover, at about the 5:35 mark of this next video:

I have a similar setup here, using a tarp to cut down on the sharp angles, and then using natural cover to hide the kayak. I'm a big guy, but I found I can lay inside the yak with my head on the folded down seat and it works perfectly as a layout blind in the field. From about 4:30 onwards you can see the blind in this one:

ARHHH4 and Boot like this.
  3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Overall, you may want to lower that front piece to just cover your legs, and then use tarps/burlap aka gillie material , along with natural cover (use a machete to get matching foliage ) to cover you up. I don't think you need to overthink this. Just use as much natural cover as you can and try to break up the strong straight lines and you'll be fine.

4. Blax17

Blax17 Refuge Member

Thanks for the input, love the videos by the way. Using the seat is a great idea. With the seat I have, I can push it back and use a piece of wood to rest against it comfortably. I'll definitely lower that front end to just cover my legs. I want to figure out how to make a hood for my backside.

5. chessydogs

chessydogs Refuge Member

Here’s my 10 foot old town kayak with the blind I made for it. Plastic chicken wire for a base with raffia zip tied to it. No frame except for a pvc hood to break up the head outline. Works like a layout blind. Split down the middle so you can sit up to shoot. Rolls up to the front and secured with a bungee for paddling distance. Can retrieve ducks with blind in place. Lay down in it and use my blind bag as a headrest. Really disappears in little to no cover. I just lay my gun on top of it.

Attached Files:

musher and Boot like this.
  6. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

I would stay away from the PVC as it will be brittle when it gets cold. Maybe if you use heavy schedule 40 PVC in the rod holders for your back area behind you.

I use the front blanket for my kayak blinds and I like it. Doors feel like they get in the way to paddle and fetch birds. You don't have a rod holders or mounting points to use to anchor a blind yet.

7. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

I just back my kayak into the bushes,between a couple of cypress trees or tied up against a downed tree and throw a sheet of old burlap or decoy bags over the front end. Kayaks are low profile and really don't need much camo. Make sure you have something comfy to sit on and be still.

8. Boot

Boot Refuge Member

Thanks for the vids. Always like seeing real duck hunts. Nice shooting.

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

For small boats, in the past, I’ve sandwiched chicken wire between some window screen mesh and camp netting, or just backed the camo with construction mesh or heavy duty metal window screen, and just molded the panels to the shape I wanted on the boat, at the time. Some worked good. Others not so good, but it’s another approach. The panels are the frame. Used to just flip them over and stack in the bottom of the canoe or such.

10. Boot

Boot Refuge Member

Y'alls kayak blinds are super nice. I just draped some military style camo net over my legs and body, and a bit over the back of my yak. Looks like I need to bump it up a notch in the camo department.