Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

DIY Kayak Blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Blax17, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Blax17

Blax17 Refuge Member

I was trying to save money by not buying a blind, especially since the ones NuCanoe sells are $300. I ran into too many issues with my PVC build, such as it not fitting in my car, so I bought a Red Head kayak blind, which can be modded to fit the F12.

TheCanMan likes this.
  2. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Senior Refuge Member

I have a redhead blind myself, plan to put it on for the first time this evening once it starts cooling down. Seems to be a lot of good reviews for it

TheCanMan likes this.
  3. Blax17

Blax17 Refuge Member

Let me know how it fits. Someone on reddit told me it needed to be adjusted so that it fits between the side deck on the F12.

4. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

It looks like a really nice option and a great price. Definitely interested to hear how it works out.

5. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Senior Refuge Member

I should have clarified, I do not have a F12 but rather an Ascend H12. I've seen videos of people putting the red head blinds on all sorts of kayaks so surely it will work for an F12

6. Blax17

Blax17 Refuge Member

I got my blind in, but the guy who has it in his F12 hasn't gotten back to me. I can't figure out how he got it to fit. Here's some pictures.
    IMG_20190924_145104.jpg IMG_20190924_145108.jpg IMG_20190924_145111.jpg IMG_20190924_145112.jpg
    Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to make any major mods.
    Here is the album that he showed me of his setup, but it doesn't look like he did anything major at all... https://imgur.com/a/KDSCLly/

7. Blax17

Blax17 Refuge Member

Got it all rigged and ready. Fits beautifully now, and looks great on the F12. Took it out yesterday morning and was limited out within 45 minutes.

Attached Files:

WestKyHunt likes this.
  8. Frenchy in AK

Frenchy in AK Senior Refuge Member

What modifications did you make to get it to fit your kayak?

9. Blax17

Blax17 Refuge Member

I cut two to three inches off the middle of the front frame (the bottom that fits between the rails) and then I JB welded it together. It is tight, but it fits. I also took the other mounting brackets that come with the blind and bent them so they can hold the blind in place. I'll try to take some photos of it later and upload them.

10. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

Bang I enjoy your videos, but that blind you’ve got in this last one here is absolutely amazing! You can’t be but ten or fifteen feet away from it and you can’t see any outline of a boat at all. Great work