Decoy Forum Sponsors

Do flappers work for geese?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, May 16, 2021.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Lucky Duck flappers didn't. X-Flapper has for years 20201003_084011.jpg

2. Fsbirdhouse

Admin,
    Sorry I didn't get this in thread I intended. Could you move to decoy thread?

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I have tried a couple different brands and my JTR seems to work as good as can be expected. The issue IMO is timing,hit it a time or two when they are at a distance then ease up as they get closer.

brentbullets likes this.
  4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

I've been known to put out as many as 3 lucky duck flappers at one time. Knowning when to run them and when to shut them off is key. Have had heavies land RIGHT next to them. They work for us....:tu

dog duck gun likes this.
  5. Fsbirdhouse

JTR is what I've had for the last 6 or 7 seasons that seems to be effective, and the only one I trust to do the job.
    But I also have those four Lucky Duck flappers that seem to spook geese more than anything else, so I'm working on another idea for those.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

I did a few mods on mine. Shortend the stands and bent the main riser to a more upright position to simulate a goose upright and streaching their wings.

7. Fsbirdhouse

I'm also modifying my duck MOJOs to lower them to almost ground level. I like the effect of the Flock-a-Flickers, but they are not on a transmitter to turn off and back on quickly and that is essential when geese are inbound.
    I built these stands for them 20210323_085915.jpg
    to keep the intermittent 'Flash' low within the decoys.
    I may have to add a bit of weight to the ring stand, or stake it down in high winds, but that will be no problem.

8. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

I like to keep the spinners low and the flappers or flags at about chest height. There’s an interesting video with a drone with the flappers/flags at distance and at various heights off the ground.

We flag high to get attention and turn birds, and then low to the ground to finish birds off.

creedsduckman and dog duck gun like this.
  9. Fsbirdhouse

I had a bit of Aluminum Tubing the exact size of the stand the Lucky Duck comes with, and joined it to conduit sticks, and I bent mine to level out the decoys to present a profile of the bird just before it begins to back peddle before landing. (seen in picture)
    It seems the birds do not like the fact that the decoy is flapping and not going anywhere, or it is stopped with it's wings splayed out in an unnatural position for a goose at rest.
    I also built shortened stands to try putting them down at the same level with decoys on the factory ring stands, but again the splayed out wings were a turn-off.

Tuleman likes this.
  10. swifthunter

swifthunter Senior Refuge Member

I used a canada clone for quite a few hunts this fall, didnt seem to hurt the cause and they still came in and landed like normal. I just liked the fact I could turn it on and call at the same time and it would draw some attention away from the blinds