Do Jon Boats Need Ribs?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by lockingblock, Apr 8, 2021.

1. lockingblock

lockingblock Senior Refuge Member

https://alumacraft.com/Alumacraft-Boat.php?id=782

I am in the market for a 1440 jon boat and I found the above alumacraft. It looks great, slightly odd front seat aside. However, I noticed that alumacraft doesn’t put ribs in their jon boats below 16ft?

Am I crazy...or is that bad?

2. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

The Alumacraft 1442 I had back in the day was a solid boat. I beat the hell out of that thing and it took it. But, I believe it did have ribs...I can't remember for certain. I definitely see your concern.

lockingblock likes this.
  3. full choke

full choke Elite Refuge Member

Ribs are there for support. The configuration of this boat, with the three seats and welded in bow platform looks to provide more than enough support for the length and size. I would think you would have nothing to worry about with that boat as far as ribs go. Good looking jon! :tu

lockingblock, Tuleman and Fogie like this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I agree with full choke: the three seats in this hull provide all the bracing it needs. Don't give the lack of ribs further thought.

lockingblock likes this.
  5. lockingblock

I have an older Alumacraft 1436 and it’s great...solid boat. I’m just confused on the new one as they claim it’s fully welded...but it’s super thin AL...which almost always means riveted. It’s .059 sheet metal. Normally, you only see welded boats in .080 or thicker.

Add in the lack of ribs...

I’m likely worried about nothing. Just surprised to see it like that.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The specs say it is a one piece hull, so the only welding needed is at the bow and at the transom (plus welding in seats and front deck). But no long welds along the sides. For a 14 footer, it would appear that the seats are quite adequate for cross bracing. Plus the crimps along the length of the floor act not only as keels but also as stiffeners for the bottom. I will tell you one thing...at .059 thick you'd better not be hitting rocks, stumps or logs at speed in that thing unless you want some dents in the bottom.

riverrat47 and Tuleman like this.
  7. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

A War Eagle 14' 36" has ribs and 0.080". Sorry, I wouldn't touch that for anything but a small pond.

riverrat47 likes this.
  8. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

The bottom will look rough after a few runs at speed in a stumpfield.

lockingblock likes this.
  9. lockingblock

Riveted boats are almost always.060, regardless of brand. It’s been that way for decades.

welded already almost always .080 or greater.

issue is that you usually want that lighter riveted boat if you intend to haul it in the bed of your truck...the whole purpose of a 1436 or similar...

so, a thicker boat is a bit opposed to the overall goal as they are heavy.

Ymmv

10. full choke

full choke Elite Refuge Member

I guess I am in the minority around here. In my 30+ years of running boats of various sizes in Washington and Alaska, I just don't hit that much ****. Especially in a 14' boat "at speed".

tcc, kdog and Fogie like this.