Do Jon Boats Need Ribs?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by lockingblock, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I'm the same! I don't hit nearly as much **** as people say i'm going to!! I think most people just suck at navigating, and can't figure safe ways through hazards.

2. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

Lots of shallow rivers in Mo .....run Jets on the big fishing rivers here ,,Current .Jacks fork .Gasconade .Meramec ...Hell even sand bars on the Mississippi
    And yes you what ribs for rigidity and her pleasure of not sinking the boat

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Our waterways around here (lakes and rivers) are all natural but are nonetheless dam controlled for hydropower and flood. At summer pool we don't hit stuff. When the winter pool level drops 7 to 11 feet we most definitely do hit objects under water.

4. lockingblock

lockingblock Senior Refuge Member

I’m gonna just send it and see how it goes. End of the day, it’s just a job boat...not a yacht. If it breaks, it’s replaceable.

5. deepwater

deepwater Refuge Member

I understand this sentiment. Problem is what if it breaks at 5:00 PM, below freezing temps and passenger on board. One reason boats and boat hardware are expensive is that it is built as if your life depends on it, because it does. Everything is fine in ideal conditions. Plan for the less then ideal.

Ajnorcal and lockingblock like this.
  6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The four (4) extrusions in the floor that form the keelsons would appear to give the hull a high degree of longitudinal strength and stability.

7. Pheasantpete

Pheasantpete Senior Refuge Member

I wouldn't worry about the lack of ribs. Those seats are structural boxes. The keel in the boat looks like an I beam. They call it a Keel Break. The thinner gauge isn't a deal breaker on such a short boat. At 16' they use .070 if you want thicker but that boats weighs 320lbs vs 209lbs.

If you hit any stumps at speed with all but the heaviest built boats your gonna do some serious damage.

Features: Keel Breaks

From another alumacraft page, I googled Keel Break
    "Keel Breaks & Performance Strakes
    The defined keel provides easy tracking and handling in shallow waters compared to other aluminum hull configurations. Precisely engineered strakes provide added strength and durability, while also improving handling at slower speeds."

8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The guys bragging about never hitting things do not go here.

Out of focus likes this.
  9. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Just like everything else in the world today. They don’t make em like they used to. Carry on.

riverrat47 likes this.
  10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My boat is a 1978 loweline. It's a hybrid where it's both welded and riveted. Has ribs.
    I do not know when all welded started but apparently there was a transition period?