Do Jon Boats Need Ribs?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by lockingblock, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Dude...people can paddle canoes through the woods faster than that. Don't pat yourself on the back too damn much.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    tcc and Tuleman like this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Couple of things I noticed about this video, and betty's caption:
    1. The only things that boat hit on the way in were a couple of twigs, and they only hit the gunnels. The hull was in no danger of damage. Kudos for the operator; he did a good job of avoiding solid objects.
    2. That outboard was revving awfully high for the speeds the boat was attaining. Either it was a situation of a tiny motor for the boat size/weight, or the prop had an inordinately (impossibly) low pitch. Or, maybe the prop was running half out of the water......??

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I don't know, I've seen some folks banging all over crap. It certainly happens in some places; it's the "at speed" part I don't get. At speed and stump-field just don't go together!

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Read my earlier post. Again, we are in a special situation because of relatively fast (over 4-6 weeks) and relatively big (4 to 7 feet) drop in water levels when they open up the dams. What was 4 feet underwater the last time you ripped down a river is now 6" under water and hard to see. Ran into a rock so hard last year I thought for a minute that I might have broken my neck when I face planted into my hunting partner, who face planted into the front deck. The bottom of my boat, a 1/8" thick longitudinally-braced mud boat, bears a scar as well.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You're not who, and that's not what I was referring to. I'm talking about guys barreling off through a known stump-field or such running at speed. I've seen guys here and elsewhere brag about it, and watched guys do it in person. Just absolutely thrashing their boat for no real reason.

6. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

That's AB tearing s**t up!:l

He's only posted this video 50-11 times. The constant cavitation just shows a poor operator. And, it still ain't hard to run an open trail like that...at 6mph.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Have a 1236 sea ark. Slightly dinged on bottom. This is from stumps, logs and road beds almost all from duck hunting. 15 plus years old and no repairs, but I am more conservative in use than a lot of people. Most any good brand of small aluminum boats will last a lifetime of normal use. It's the heavier and bigger boats and even larger motors that tend to get beat up. Come to Reelfoot and watch the new comers run full speed across the lake in 150hp plus boats. 20 years ago you did not hardly see any large motors or even boats on the lake now it's common to see 60 to 150 hp motors on 1860's and 2072's.