Do people even.........

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Shot a Scoter amongst the mallards and teal in the desert this weekend, does that count?

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, NC offered bonus bluebills. We could shoot 2 extra BB in addition to the regular limits.

whistlerwhopper

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
We used to be able to shoot 2 extra bluebills a day too, after Oct. 18. It allowed us 8 total. But back then, our season closed Dec15-20. This year we can hunt until Jan. 8. We don't have the divers much anymore anyways. Making up for it this year with a great mallard and goose year. (For Ontario).

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the limit on bluebill was in Kansas when I was a kid in the middle 60's, but I remember when they switched to a point system with a 100 point limit, bluebills were a 10 point bird back then.

We live in a diver rich area here on the snake river, lots of bluebills, ringers, both barrows and common goldeneye, buffleheads along with a good number of redheads and a few cans in various areas. Very few people hunt divers here, but shoot them incidentally when they can't find mallards. Consequently divers aren't hunted over diver decoys, mostly just pass shooting and many left to drift on iffy distances. Kind of a shame. Part of the deal with divers is how dynamic their decoying can be. They are a feast for the eyes and ears as they rocket into your spread feet down. We were hunting goldeneye one time and saw a lone single bird drifting slowly across the decoys, we had a moment of what is this bird flying so slow. It was just a mallard, yawn, let him pass.

Sam D3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
North east Ohio to Western Slope, Colorado
78962E51-F4E7-4FF9-AE3E-97C4AB9087CD.jpeg
Diver hunt any more? I was out the other day, hunting the western end of Lake Erie. We had a 4 pack of bills come in and we managed to drop them all. We dropped a pintail also. We had a couple more flocks of bills come in to the decoys, but we were left to just watching them work the decoys due to the current limits. We get 1 or 2 flocks of redheads each fall in the area, but nothing to count on. If you see a canvas back every few seasons your lucky. It's the same way with ringnecks. Even the buffleheads aren't around like they use to be. Later in the season the Goldeneyes show up in force, but other than that. So my question stands, are people still diver hunting?
Absolutely. The end of Colorado I live in is plum full late season of ganser and goldeneyes

barenn

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have changed strategy in the past few years for divers, I have a bankes layout that has not seen water in a few years, the group that I hunt with are all in their 60's now. We changed over to mats and still get a few hundred deeks out and hunt from the tender now, our diver hunting is on Erie and it can be chaos out there at times. I will try what ever works best for us as it gets a bit more difficult the older we get from cold weather, work involved etc. Until the time comes where I am sitting back reading posts and not getting out I will try everything possible to get out and do what I love to do.