Do you feed rabbits?

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Feet rabbits? Only those I raise for meat.

BigMike

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Feeding wild rabbits is not the smartest thing to do....
My wife caught a bad case of tularemia from a rabbit and came close to dying a couple years ago.

HaydenHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We have snowshoe hares around our wooded peninsula on a lake. Never fed one or wanted to. Always happy to see them. With bald eagles, owls and possibly coyotes as predators the population comes and goes.

Out of focus

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The masked bunnies want powdered donuts this morning.
00D6950D-66EC-45D4-81A9-B7F471CA6D62.jpeg
50D12B6D-D7A6-4D38-9579-F9234E032DED.jpeg
C2E8ACD8-F5B0-422E-93D2-DC9E722C4C71.jpeg
2DEB1EA5-22EA-4493-8F40-D5CDDB7E1F14.jpeg

Deltaman

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've got a pair of rabbits that come out of the woods in our backyard and eat with the birds, but the friendliest animal we have is a Box Turtle that has been showing up off and on for 4-5 years. If I see him walking across the yard, I can open the door and call him, and he sticks his neck up and runs to me. Most times, he just appears on our back porch, ready to eat, and we feed him canned tuna, lettuce, and water. I fenced my yard, only to see him walk back and forth against it for an hour in the hot sun, trying to figure out how to get thru it. Grabbed a saw and cut him a small hole for egress, and he uses it all the time now.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
With the price of meat, I am going to start feeding everything.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Big Mike,
I grew up hunting and eating large Eastern Cottontails in Ohio. My Father taught me not to harvest them until after the first good freeze. Tularemia weakens Rabbits to the extent they freeze to death. I remember seeing them sitting dead in their burrows.
When you cut open a rabbit with Tularemia their livers had white spots on them. My Hungarian Gypsy Grandmother would make delicious Rabbit Hasenpfeffer with beer and homemade dumplings.

jjgoose

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Big Mike,
I grew up hunting and eating large Eastern Cottontails in Ohio. My Father taught me not to harvest them until after the first good freeze. Tularemia weakens Rabbits to the extent they freeze to death. I remember seeing them sitting dead in their burrows.
When you cut open a rabbit with Tularemia their livers had white spots on them. My Hungarian Gypsy Grandmother would make delicious Rabbit Hasenpfeffer with beer and homemade dumplings.
I love a good succotash made out of those Ohio cottontails!

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Big Mike,

We waited for the first frost so the wolves (not fly larva) would fall off.