Do you have to be a good call operator to make a good sounding duck call?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by DeWayne Knight, Feb 10, 2012.

1. nside20

nside20 Senior Refuge Member

"The Working class are judged 90% on sound and runability, Feed, Hail, Quack, Ease of use, ect. and a fit and finish.
    Its the ONLY contest where a guy hand turning calls can have HIS CALLS judged against other makers calls. They Judges are skilled and they often have guest judges that have won on stage, Mike McLemore was a judge untill his recent health issues. So its a great place to see how ones calls stack up against others!

I love going and seeing all the calls and hanging out with all the callmakers, These guys are True callmakers," ( that was from Stelz...I suck at the quote button"

So you would disagree with Stelz? I don't want to take anything from Johns win but I am curious why, if the contest is really prestigious, Butch doesn't enter, or Rick, etc etc etc. All those guys can hand turn....It just doesn't seem like the contest draws what I would consider the best of the best in the call making world the way the Worlds contest does in Stuttgart does. I'm sure this will get twisted six ways to Sunday but it's just an honest question...not trying to be malicious.

2. Doubletap

Doubletap Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, but hell, you dont know how to blow a real goose call:eek:

3. HeritageHunter

HeritageHunter Senior Refuge Member

Seems like everytime you lose a contests it has something to do with the judges. Ever consider you get the same consideration in Maryland when you win?

Could not agree more with you about Gary and Darkwing coming second at the competition. I also will tell you as a buyer nothing makes me doubt a callmaker more than seeing them compete with some other maker's calls.

I can read just fine. You said in your original statement that a bad caller needs to suround themselves with good callers to make good calls. Then used Stump as an example.

4. Raininfeathers

Raininfeathers Senior Refuge Member

5. waterfowlpro

waterfowlpro Senior Refuge Member

Did you hear trevor is going pro in elk calling now? Anyone ever see the NCAA commercial where "____ number of student athletes go pro in something other than sports"? I feel like this is applied to trevor. Going pro in everything except life.

6. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

I find this rather amusing and mostly ironic that this statement is jeered from someone calling himself a "pro". I had to chuckle for a bit, thank you for the entertainment. I continue to find it interesting how the majority of the population identifies success.

7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

At least I do something with my life other than spend it in a gym and be a complete tool.

I would like to know how posting a simple picture equates to bragging or going pro at something???

8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Ask Stump about that contest. The level of competition wasn't even close to me. I don't complain about losing anymore, and Stump was one of the ones telling me I got screwed in that contest.

Seeing as how I am a goose call maker it would have nothing to do with me using RNT for duck contests.

And I never said Stump surrounded himself with good callers. I said that HE got better and that's when his calls got better

9. diverdown

diverdown Senior Refuge Member

10. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

Well......................you are half correct ;)